Existing Member?

Beaches and Elephants

Trekking!

THAILAND | Monday, 9 July 2007 | Views [680] | Comments [8]

So the trek was amazing!  On the first day, we hiked about 4 hours through the jungle with our guide, Robert (a member of one of the hilltribes), singing ïn the jungle, the mighty jungle" and "welcome to the jungle"...he is so funny.  we crossed a river on foot and ate lunch at a hut along the way.  We made it to the village that afternoon and got to play with the children and buy some of the handicrafts that the women make. 

okay, i have to write the rest in a few days bc i'm running out of time.  i uploaded some photos and started doing descriptions, but haven't finished! sorry!

thanks so much for your prayers and comments!

love yáll!

oh, p.s. we leave on a night train today at 2:30 to bangkok where we will arrive at 5:30 am!  we stay there for the day then hop on an overnight bus at 7pm that will take us to phuket and we will begin our island hopping! yeah!

i'm so excited bc jason will be in bangkok on his way to cambodia tomorrow, so i will get to hang out with him for the day! YAY!  natalie h. is so excited to meet him...lol... :)  then he's off to siem reap i think and nat and i will continue to phuket.

Tags: Mountains

Comments

1

your pictures are beautiful!

  aunt brenda Jul 9, 2007 1:10 PM

2

Loved your pics!!! You didn't touch the monks, did you? Ha. But I hope you made friendly with the elephants! I can't tell you how great it was to spend some time in actual unhurried conversation with you this morning. You are the best, and you know we are behind you 100%. Have a great time island-hopping, and I hope to talk to you again soon. Nanny is in Lumberton for the week, and she says hi, and don't hop too hard on those islands. :)

  Mom Jul 9, 2007 3:43 PM

3

Very cool! I can imagine you chasing those monks around the room saying, "I'm gonna1 touch you!" Bet they could move fast! I look forward to hearing your stories that go with the pics. We love you and miss you, but are excited that you are getting to experience some new things. I hope you will take a day out to rest soon so you don't crater before the trip is over. Love you!

  Dad Jul 10, 2007 1:18 AM

4

Looks exciting - take care

  Aunt Mary Jul 11, 2007 2:29 AM

5

what is about 'touching the monks'? is that a tabu?

  aunt brenda Jul 11, 2007 11:10 AM

6

Yes, touching a monk isn't a polite thing to do.

(I copied this bit below from a website I found)
"Both bhikkhu and sāmanera generally avoid the intimacy of shaking hands while greeting, not to speak about any other sort of intimate touching to express affection or appreciation. Normally you greet a monk by folding the hands as in prayer (añjali). It is polite not to sit or stand too close to a monk."

from:
http://www.volny.cz/dhamma/monkhome.htm
(warning, the page is VERY orange & hard on the eyes)

Cheers,
Stowaway

  stowaway Jul 11, 2007 11:24 AM

7

OK...it is not fair to "take" us all with you on your adventure and then not update us! Surely there is an internet cafe hidden under a rock somewhere! lol

Take care,
C

  Charlotte Collinsworth Jul 18, 2007 4:11 PM

8

OK...it is not fair to "take" us all with you on your adventure and then not update us! Surely there is an internet cafe hidden under a rock somewhere! lol

Take care,
C

  Charlotte Collinsworth Jul 18, 2007 4:12 PM

About webbnat


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.