Existing Member?

Wander + Share ✈ Wanderlust takes us to faraway places. Love brings us home.

Seven Spirit Bay Wilderness Lodge

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 10 July 2013 | Views [381]

Just as tribal ancestors were inspired by the land so many thousands of years ago, Seven Spirit Bay will touch your soul and inspire your sense of adventure. 

My adventure to this remote wilderness region began with a 45-minute scenic flight in a light aircraft, travelling northeast from Darwin over Van Diemens Gulf to the Cobourg Peninsula. Part of the Aboriginal Arnhem Land, the Cobourg Peninsula is situated in the Northern Territory Australia, one of the world's most brilliant tropical areas. Seven Spirit Bay is a Wilderness Lodge located in this treasured haven just a few metres from the sea.  The Lodge nestles among the trees in virtually untouched forest, designed to be in complete harmony with the environment, where entry is extremely limited and by permit only.

The main building is the focus of activity from which meandering paths weave through the native, open woodland to several clusters of tropical style accommodation units, called 'sea-view villas'. The main building offers a spacious indoor/outdoor dining area, cocktail bar and guest lounge - surrounded by cool, lush lawn and broad decking which overlooks the lagoon pool and the impressive vista of the Arafura Sea.

Seven Spirit Bay offers a range of tours and activities. I have been lucky enough to experience most of these at my own leisure. I joined a group of guests on the Equilizer for a 1/2 day blue water fishing trip as well as many a late night fishing off the wharf.  I have caught Black Zip Reef Shark, Mangrove Jack, Trevalli and Cod to name but a few.

I have use of the safari vehicles to drive myself around to enjoy the wildlife and visit the secluded bays such as Vashon Head, Low Point, Kennedy Bay and Gunners Quion, all of which are uniquely different. I have spent many a day off beach combing, collecting shells, washed up star fish and driftwood as well as photographing wildlife such as crocodiles and banteng.

I regularly walk along Coral Bay in the evenings which is metres away from the Lodge, I have even stumbled accross a crodile which I have to admit is terrifying but fantastic at the same time, luckily this one was just a baby and was more scared of me than I was of it.

The Parks conserve a mosaic of sandy beaches, dunes and associated coastal grasslands, mangroves, rainforest patches, swamps, lagoons, coral reefs, sea grass meadows and rich marine life. The Cobourg Marine Park protects several rare species, including the Dugong and marine turtles - Loggerhead, Hawksbill, Green, Olive Ridley, Leatherback and Flatback Turtles. The area also has an interesting ancient and contemporary history. Archaeologists generally agree that Aboriginal people have been living in the area for 40,000 years.

The Parks lie within the clan estates of the Iwaidja speaking peoples of western Arnhem Land. Custodianship is shared between four Aboriginal clan groups, the Agalda, Ngaindjagar, Madjunbalmi and Muran. These clans have continual spiritual links with the land and sea. Their ancestors from Creation Era (Dreamtime) created the land and all it contains. The Parks are therefore cultural landscapes that have been shaped and managed by cultural traditions.

Although this is a remote location and only accessible by aircraft or boat, I do not feel like I am isolated at all. I am very lucky to have been given the opportunity to work in such a beautiful location.

Peace and Love

Zoe xxx

Tags: adventure, arnhem land, australia, cobourg peninsular, remote location, seven spirit bay, wilderness, working holiday

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.