Existing Member?

Around the world in 16 weeks

Are you here for Fantasy Fest?

USA | Saturday, 26 October 2013 | Views [561]

That was how the receptionist dressed as Superwoman greeted me after my 4 hour drive down to Key West. The bellboy dressed as the Hulk then proceeded to tell me that it was a big annual dress up festival currently going on in Key West. I was even more confused when the receptionist asked me to sign a form which said various things but my all time favourite being "body paint is not considered to be appropriate attire". As I walked to my room following the Hulk with my bags, I did consider just driving back to Miami, but I'd come all this way so why not see what on earth was going on down in Key West!

Here's the summary:

1) It's hot and humid to the point of sweating the minute you go outside. Theres is a breeze but its like someone's waving a hair dryer at you. And this is their autumn!

2) Got upgraded to a suite with a balcony overlooking the harbour and couldn't see one dressed up person roaming around which was heartening. Palm trees swaying in the wind and the boats rocking about is one of my favourite sounds. 

3) Although connected to the mainland it feels very much like an island. Really laid back, sleepy wee town with a shed load of tourist shops and one big main street. 

4) I got the little train tour around which was a good way to get some albeit hot breeze and trundle around the town seeing the sights. 

5) Not only can you try the famous key lime pie, but you can get a piece on a stick covered in dark chocolate. I was on a strict diet of water and ice cream to try and lower my core temperature so I passed on the pie on a stick. 

6) Fantasy Fest wasn't too evident (the main parade was a few days after I left) other than early evening when the people walking around the main drag started to have less clothes on and more body paint. I refer back to my signed hotel declaration that body paint is not appropriate attire and would like to stress the point to the over 50s. Seems Fantasy Fest is an excuse for older couples to dress up in not very much and walk around in public. Check out the photos for some key offenders.....my eyes are still burning!

7) The drive from Miami to Key West on the longest dead end road in the US was really gorgeous. Ocean on either side and although just 1 lane I was happy to take it slow to enjoy the view. 

I only had 2 nights but it was more than enough time to see the sights and experience Key West life. I even managed to fit in a bit of tanning by the pool although I'm sure the tan will get stripped off when I hit the chill of Toronto. En route to the airport in Miami I checked out one of their shopping malls and ended up getting a bigger suitcase rather than continue the challenge of fitting everything into my 2 wee bags. I've managed 6 weeks without buying too much but the lure of the US shops beat me once again!

So 6 weeks into my 16 week world tour and I'm having an absolute ball. Just the right mix of city breaks, sun lounging and shopping so far and still a whole UK adventure to come. Before I head home to Bonnie Dundee its up to Toronto and Niagara Falls for some more tourist stuff. Oh Canada here I come!

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.