Existing Member?

Around the world in 16 weeks

And the journey begins.....

CHILE | Thursday, 19 September 2013 | Views [269]

After a rather hectic last few days at work I made it to the airport, packed and ready to leave Sydney for 16 weeks. Am very surpirsed but after about 3 trial packs I got my bags down to 25kgs in total for the trolley case and main bag, so that bodes well for having room for purchases.

It was chaos at the gate with a huge line of Chileans trying to get home. I was asleep before we'd even taken off but then rudely awoken an hour later when the hostess dropped a glass of coke all over me! Quite the wake up. 

12 hours later and I was in Santiago with Zoe and Pedro the driver. 

Apartment is amazing with a whole guest wing so I have my own walk in closet and bathroom. Views from every room of the Andes and the city. 

I managed to stay up all afternoon so we went for a wander to the metro station and shops along the road. Got to practise a bit of Spanish and realised just how rusty I am. 

Bed at 8pm and slept right through as was already in holiday mode!

Sunday we chilled out and ran some errands, ate empanadas and napped. That evening Zoe had dieziocho party to celebrate Chile Day. A little early but we'll be in San Andres for the actual day. Some of Zoe's friends came round and we had some typical Chilean fare and an amazing red wine and strawberry drink.....tasted like juice which is always dangerous! 

Monday I was home alone as Zoe had to work. Did a bit of general sorting of my stuff, packed for the island and had a wander to the shops. Almost bought numerous things in the department stores but managed to remind myself that if I buy....I carry. Our flight was at 4am so we went out to dinner to Ligueria which was a very cool restaurant bar in Providencia with randomness on the walls, people singing, loud music and great food. Had my first Pisco Sour and it won't be my last. 

Napped, got up to go before realising my watch was an hour ahead, napped some more and then off we went for our island holiday. 9 hours later and we got to La Isla de San Andres. First flight was not great as I had the worlds tallest man behind me with his knees jammed in the back of my seat and a rather amorous pair of 50 year olds ( sitting next to their kids) who wouldn't stop snogging. The mini flight from Panama was much better but having pulled an allnighter we were more than a little tired. 

San andres airport is tiny but still had a horde of dodgy taxi drivers waiting to try dupe the tourists.....especially 2 fair skinned gringas. To say we stand out here is an understatement!  Got to the hotel and finally our rooms were ready in the afternoon and it was time for a much needed nap. Napping is definitely going to be a staple this holiday. 

Our hotel is on the beach and there's palm trees swaying in the wind, the water lapping up on the shore,  locals trying to sell stuff or just chat to las gringas and a very relaxed vibe. It's pretty gritty and underdeveloped, no big US chain hotels or maccas and all that other stuff that now comes with most beach resorts. Although Spanish speaking and part of Colombia, there's a big Caribbean influence. Lots of street hustlers and little old ladies selling fruit. Feel pretty safe though and a bit of spanish is coming in very handy as no one speaks English. 

its hot and humid and I'mlooking forward to getting out on the water, tanning it up and generally kicking back. 

 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.