Existing Member?

World Wandering with the Walkers

Bangkok

THAILAND | Wednesday, 1 March 2017 | Views [173]

28/02/2017

Went to Lumpini park for the day. Chilled out and watched the water monitor lizards. Also saw turtles and a tiny frog. Started to feel I'll when we were coming back. Felt overheated, headache, dizziness, tireness and nausea. Had kept well hydrated but hadn't eaten enough. Tried to eat but as soon as I swallowed one mouthful I was sick...at the table in the restaurant :-( luckily it was almost all water as I hadn't eaten. After that I felt much better, ate a little and had a rehydration drink. Think it was heat exhaustion caused by salt depletion.

 

01/03/2017

 

Today I felt much better but rested all morning just to make sure. Had banana and egg rotee for lunch. We went for a wonder and visited more temples with breaks in between. For dinner I persuaded Dan we should go to an Indian vegetarian restaurant as we hadn't been finding many nutritious veggie options in the Thai restaurants and I don't like to eat much meat. We went to Chennai Kitchen which we had seen in our Lonely Planet guide book. The food was just like what we had in india and we ordered the thali so had a bit of everything. The owner came over to see if we know how to eat it and explain the dish,  but then he saw me eating it the Indian way and smiled and said i already knew. Absolutely delicious and made us feel all bouncy and energised! 

 

02/03/2017

 

Went to the Bangkok's main attractions: The Grand Palace and Wat Pho. Started early and got the river taxi. Spent a few hours at the Palace taking in the sights and looking at the temples.

Later on we went to Wat Pho, which is famous for it's reclining Buddha and also the amount of Buddha images it has (more than 1000)! It was really beautiful here and we could have spent longer.

On the way back we needed to get 2 boats as one of the piers was shut. We stopped off for a quick look at Wat Arun, which is just over the water from the other temples. It is also magnificent but the main structure was covered in scaffolding, so would have been better to see on another day when that wasn't there.

We ate dinner at a very cheap restaurant called Restoran Ibu. We both had pad Thai and some stir fried veg on the side. Dan was watching a very cheesy TV program with a ladyboy hero beating up the villains with all the 'bam' 'pow' sound effects! He really got into it!

 

03/03/2017

 

Had quite a chilled out day. Had a lie in and then went for banana and egg rotees from our favourite street stall. Went to a little museum in the afternoon that was very pretty and interesting. It had a traditional middle class Bangkok house with history in every room with how it had been lived in. Also 2 other buildings that had been turned into museums one of them had been a tiny hospital and another had been the kitchen and had been extended a lot. It had lots of items the family had used, along with the history of the area.

In the evening we went to Queen of Curry for dinner. We both ordered gaeng karee with pineapple, no.17 on the menu and it was the tastiest thing I've ever eaten. I said to the waiter that we'd be back again the next day for dinner!

 

04/03/2017

 

Last full day in Bangkok. We went to Lumpini park again and had banana and egg rotee on the way. Had some nice chilled out time there reading under a tree. Saw a little frog that hopped under my hat for shade! Got bothered by a beggar for the 1st and only time while we were in the city.

 

Had dinner at Queen of Curry again. It was nice but not as good as the previous evening and the waiting staff seem to not be very nice to eachother- definitely not teamwork! One lady had been patently waiting to take our order and started to write it when we were ready then the man who we had told yesterday that we would be back came up and literally snatched it out of her hand and took over. Not impressed! They brought us both the wrong dishes 1st time too! Was still a lovely meal though. Just maybe better not to go on a busy Saturday.

About walkersgowandering

Agra 2015

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.