Existing Member?

Where I Wear My Moccasins Juggling the commitments of a student and dreams of a traveller.

The past month as a JR Commissioned Officer

USA | Tuesday, 21 July 2009 | Views [445]

Halito!

I have had the most educational summer here in Oklahoma.  I've learned a lot from my job and from the culture here.  I've picked up quite a bit of slang hanging out with the natives here, such as snag, apples, samookalani, and modo.  Boy, these poeple know how to laugh!  I will never forget that samookalani refers to skid marks, and I'm not talking about the kind you find on the road! 

My job as a JRCOSTEP in the USPHS has kept be busy and trained.  I enjoy the work that I'm doing and the people who are committed to the mission.  The mission of the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps is to protect, promote, and advance the health and safety of our Nation. I plan to make my career with the Corps.  I encourage you to look into it if this field interests you or if you don't know much about it. 

I am working with Indian Health Services, which I haven't had to deal with since I was a kid as a patient in one of the clinics.  I feel like I am getting back to my roots! 

Anyways, even though I'm not international, I still feel like I've traveled a long way and immersed in a different culture.

Tags: externship

About walkamile

At the Strater Hotel in Durango, CO where a scene of

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.