Existing Member?

Where I Wear My Moccasins Juggling the commitments of a student and dreams of a traveller.

INTO THE AMAZON

ECUADOR | Thursday, 19 March 2009 | Views [431]

Hola!  I spent Sunday and Monday nights in the Intag community located in the cloud forest region of Ecuador.  It was fantastic lving in the cabins that was more like a treehouse.  The homemade food was delicious as well.  Lots of rice, chicken, yuca (like a potato) and fresh squeezed juice.  I only had one day of upset stomach & it wasn´t that bad :)  We learned about how this community stopped mining companies from coming in to mine.  A canadian company had done %60 survey and figured they had the 2nd largest  deposit of copper in the world.  They are currently in a lawsuit against them for what little mining and survies they did and the environmnetal damage.  They are supporting themselves with ecotoursim instead ant organic coffee growing, mostly exported to Japan.

Now I am in Lago Agrio (Sour Lake) learning about the toxic legacy Texaco left behind when oil drilling.  It´s horrible and heartbreaking.  We are also 12km from the Colombian border-woohoo! not. 

Don´t worry, I´m safe, we´re headind south tomorrow via canoe to get into the Amazon jungle.  Will tell you all about it later!  Love you!

P.S.

the keyboards are fun, ñññÑÑÑ¡¡¡¡¡Ç

About walkamile

At the Strater Hotel in Durango, CO where a scene of

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.