Existing Member?

Where I Wear My Moccasins Juggling the commitments of a student and dreams of a traveller.

Holiday at the Farm

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 27 April 2008 | Views [786]

Feeding a fawn!!! Awww, I was so happy.  :)

Feeding a fawn!!! Awww, I was so happy. :)

I spent a fantastic holiday weekend at my kiwi friend Louise's family farm house.  I met Louise at the N party at Mrs. O's the week before school started.  The theme of the party was dress up as something that starts with the letter N.  Logically, the easiest thing for me to go as is native!  Louise approached me because of her long held interst in Native Americans and we've been buddies ever since!  She invited me to come to her house for Easter weekend and I jumped at the chance.  I had always wanted a farm experience and it looked like I was finally going to get one, in New Zealand no less! 

The moment I arrived at their picture perfect farm in Timaru, I was greeted with warmth and hospitality and treated like one of the family.  After introductions, a tour of the property was in order, but first things first, I had to dress the part!  They suited me up in coveralls (kinda like a jumpsuit) and gumboots.  I never did get as fast as Louise getting those suckers on & off.  :)  I got to see all their paddocks full of deer, elk, cows, calfs and fawns.  Bell (pig), Dusty (horse), Tig (cat), chooks (chickens), and Hudson (farm dog) round out the animals.  We toured the place on 4 wheelers, and I even got to drive one myself-a first. 

Meal times were always a joy there, as there is nothing like a good kiwi homecooked meal.  I was delighted with homemade fish n chips, deer, steak, chicken, potatoes, muesli, fresh veggies from the garden, a birthday pavlova, toasties, all kinds of ice cream, strawberry-rhubarb spago, and more!  I was definitely sad to leave to go back to cafeteria food.  And since it was Easter weekend, there was always Cadbury eggs to be had.   

I loved doing my share of the farm work.  I had the opportunity to herd animals around paddocks, inject calves with selenium, pop copper pills down their throat, shear a sheep, feed a pet fawn (who bunted when all the milk was gone), and feed the pig and horse.  I've got pictures to prove it if you don't believe me!  It was awesome!

We also went to an A&P show (like American fairs)in Fairlie where we saw lots of animals, stalls, and people.  We went into town, Timaru, and did a bit of shopping.  I tried to find a wool shop recommended by a friend back at Lincoln but to no avail.  No worries, I found some wool for my mom the weaver at the A&P show.  The last day, we visited the little stretch of beach on their property.  It wasn't safe to swim in the water.  It was sure tempting though! 

I had such a good time at Louise's farm, I will sure miss her and her family when I leave this country.  I'm sure I haven't recounted all the fun adventures I had on the farm, some are better told in person!  Hopefully the pictures I post will speak volumes.

Tags: farm, holiday

About walkamile

At the Strater Hotel in Durango, CO where a scene of

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.