Existing Member?

Where I Wear My Moccasins Juggling the commitments of a student and dreams of a traveller.

Out & About

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 26 March 2008 | Views [481]

I went to my first rugby game on Saturday, March 15. It was the Crusaders from Canterbury and the Cheetahs from South Africa battling it out in AMI Stadium in Chch (Christchurch). It was more like a killing though, the final score being around 68-7 with the Crusaders the victor. I learned a little more about rugby, but not enough to really understand it! Many men walked off that field injured, it is quite a brutal game. My favorite part was the horsemen who came out before the start of the game to rouse the crowd. It kinda felt like being at a hockey game, which I miss. That following Monday was St. Patrick's Day and everyone in town was Irish for a day! I had to borrow a green shirt from a friend since I apparantly didn't bring any... A group of us headed into Chch to go to the Dux de Lux-a nice bar in the Arts Centre. I purchased a stout, but didn't enjoy it much. After we tired of that scene, we left for a real Irish pub. We arrived at Mickey Finn's, which even had an Irish band. I found that I could dance the Irish jig along with everyone else on the dance floor! :) The only letdown of the night was that I missed the last metrobus to the University and had to hire a cab with a couple of other girls to take us home. Oh well, should have known I shouldn't trust a drunk kiwi to lead us to the bus exchange! Then Thursday, I went to the Jack Johnson concert in Chch with my friends from California (Rebecca & Brittany). We arrived at the arena four hours before the doors opened-needless to say we got the first spot in line. I for one only heard a few od Jack's songs, but my friends were huge fans and I had nothing better to do. So we sat and talked and made a makeshift hacky sack out of the bus timetable. We finally got into the arena and packed ourselves onto the general admission floor. I didn't much enjoy the pushing and shoving and sardine-like environment, but I paid for that ticket and was going to get the most out of it! The music was good, but I decided that the next time I go to a concert, I'm going to pick someone I know and like. But how many people can say they've seen Jack Johnson in New Zealand???

Tags: fun & games

About walkamile

At the Strater Hotel in Durango, CO where a scene of

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.