Existing Member?

If a blonde keeps going in one direction- will she eventually find her way back home???

Apparently love is the only thing these hippies are giving away for free...

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 10 June 2010 | Views [273]

Went exploring the shops in Byron Bay with Rosie - nowt much else to do as it was pissing down, but then, hey presto! the backbacker gods smiled on us and a lovely sunny afternoon appeared out of nowhere. We thanked the BP Gods by having an incredibly thrifty picnic lunch on the beach- and i did my best to introduce vegemite cheesybite to another unsuspecting victim. As the weather was so good we decided to trek up to the old lighthouse (Australia's most easternly point if you feel like being technical about it) to see what all the fuss was about. Several incredibly sweaty hours later we were looking out at the most heavenly scenery- and for the first time I understood why so many backpackers have difficulty leaving this wonderfully chilled out place.

It took a while to get back down to the town, mainly because I had only just discovered (after 18 months of travel) that my camera can take panoramic shots- 'NEW TOY!!!' so just did a bit more shopping, mainly of the window variety as Byron is bloody expensive. But did find some lovely glow poi for only 30 dollars so went back to the Arts Factory for a night of twirling and gossiping in the hot tub with some holidaying Aussies.

Quote of the Day 'If i wanted to look at 3D blue people, i'd take acid and watch the smurfs' (Aussie boy on Avatar)

Up early the next day for my Nimbin tour. Got on a multicoloured bus and headed out through some lovely countryside, ending up the wiedest little town in the world. Colours and hippies galore- my very favourite thing was the Nimbin Museum- kind of Tim Burton crossed with Enid Blyton. Apparently I must look more innocent than I thought, as the only person to offer me any illegal substances was a little shopkeeper who looked like my mum...

 After purchasing some awesome Nimbin souveneirs (shoelaces with a hash plant pattern) we headed off to a BBQ lunch and a lovely waterfall where the brave- or unbelievably stupid- could choose to jump into the freezing water below.

Moment of the Day- our NIMBIN tour guide lecturing us about the sheer dangers and stupidity of the place. I agreed and all but do think he needs to rethink careers...

Tags: arts factory, avatar, byron bay, nimbin, poi

About vixietrixie


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.