Existing Member?

The world according to Kiwis and Aussies (written by a Pom!) This is about my life in the last 12 months, travelling and seeing the world- or more specifically seeing a small area of South Island NZ ( I'll tell you all about the adventures I've already had cos I've just about finished in NZ now!)and the locals that inhibit this beautiful part of the world...(Don't worry guys I'm talking about the dairy cows as a rule!)

Understatement of the decade...

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 8 March 2007 | Views [1040]

I've come to the conclusion Aussies are so used to dangerous things they don't really react the same way as other nationalities, 2 major pieces of evidence to back this up...

I went to Manly yesterday, walked around the shops, bad idea but luckily I'm very short of cash so just stood staring at all the wonderful clothes I wanted to purchase... then walked to the beach and sat down to read my book, look at the ocean and do some people watching. After I'd been there a little while there was an announcement on the PA system " All ocean goers please be aware strong winds are carrying a shoal of bluebottles towards the shoreline. There is nothing you can do for the immediate pain if you get stung so we advise you to get out of the water". At which point the learner surfers I was watching pretty much ran out of the surf Baywatch style (I can only assume these were tourists) while other surfers just carried on walking towards the waves. Is it just me or is that slightly stupid?????

I went to the Australian Museum as well (by far the best museum I've been to very friendly(not like some I could mention, Museum of sydney anyone?) and informative, I stayed for hours, especially loving the UK Natural History Museums wildlife photographer of the year section- go if you're in sydney at the mo, totally worth $10!), Sorry I got distracted, but the bit I was really interested in was the skeletons, birds and insects, all information I did know at some point in my 3years at uni slowly came back to me. I got to the cassowary's, asfar as I know the only bird that'll slice you in two if you even have the audacity to look at it, and all it said "Bad tempered " Well I mean come on! What they should say is avoid at all costs if you don't want to see your intestines hanging out of you before they peck your eyes out! (Maybe I'm doing the Cassowary a disservice, I'm not brave enough to go and find out though!!) Tomorrow I'm off to the Blue Mountains, don't think they have Cassowary's there but will keep you informed...

Tags: People

About vik


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.