Existing Member?

The long way home After 3 years in the UK we're off back home to NZ, but not before attempting to rid ourselves of the dreaded travel lurgy.

Two bums in the sun

CROATIA | Friday, 17 August 2007 | Views [1533] | Comments [9]

Enjoying a cold brew...

Enjoying a cold brew...

Hi Everybody, we`re still alive and well. Firstly to stop the confusion which happens a lot when both of us are chatting on msn or emailing, when Sharan is writing it will look normal (and with more exclamation marks) and when I`m writing it´ll look like this with italics. Cool.

Our trip was going to start nice and easy chilling down the coast of Croatia and starting in Montenegro, first week all booked up back home. As it turned out it wasn´t quite that straight forward due to a ślight´ planning error on my behalf which meant not sleeping and a 8 hour overnight bus, doh day one and I´m in the doghouse! To highlight the dodgy transport schedules over here, we were told there was a night bus leaving at 3am..no probs, we were ready for a long night, about 1am a bus turns up going where we wanted (you can´t even get a decent bus timetable at the bus station info!!!!)

Phew finally got to Montenegro, we both smelt and were dying for a shower. After being misdirected by all the locals we eventually found our hostel in Kotor. Now, I admit that I am fussy when it comes to cleanliness but this place was a shithole. No hot water, no locks on showers and toilets, no loo paper(admittedly I did know this place was crap but it was the only place around!)

By the end of our 2 days in Kotor I was ready to check into the nearest hotel...thankfully the next hostel in Budva proved to be much better. Heaps more friendly people around to chat with and a good atmosphere. A wise and VERY old woman once told me that you would get sick of explaining your story again and again, which I can see happening as I´ve blabbed it out about 20 times. Montenegro is definitely a mans paradise. The women all look like models, Vien thought i couldn`t see him staring behind his shades...but i know better. Beers on the beach, thong bikinis and pole dancing at the clubs...hmmm, need i say more?

The old towns in Kotor, Budva were pretty cool, but Dubrovnik really does take the cake. Imposing, grand and a great vibe around due to the summer festival.

We decided to take a day trip to Medugorje and Mostar in Bosnia & Hercegovina. 5 mins in and we got sideswiped onto the kerb by a kamikaze local the driver got out and checked that all 4 wheels were attached and declared it was safe to go on, hmmm...Medugorje is hard core. Made famous by some kids having seen the Virgin Mary for years, there are heaps of devout catholics and all the religious paraphenalia that goes with it.

Mostar was a bit of a wake up call as to how much people have suffered from the war. The bridge is just one example of what was bombed and now is restored. There are soo many buildings that have been bombed and are just left as shells. Bullet holes are everywhere..all the souvenirs were war-related, I didn´t know how versatile a shell could be you can make pens, salt and pepper grinders, umbrella holders, etc ingenious!.

So after a tricky start weŕe right into it now and loving it. Weŕe in Zadar at the moment and off to the Piltvice lakes tommorow and Slovenia next which should be a good change from the usual beach bum life style. Till next time XXX Vien and Sharan.


PS. Look who we spotted eating pies in Kotor (see pic), I thought Johnny was in OZ????

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

Comments

1

Sharon and Stupid, tiny smelly Vien ,

You should know Vien is stupid and can not book any thing.You should never make him in charge of anything. He is too dumb.I am glad you guys are enjoying yourself.

  shirin Aug 17, 2007 5:23 PM

2

Hello Guys,

glad to know you are having the time of your lives. I really enjoy reading the stories of the places you are visiting. It makes me feel like I am actually there and takes me away from being stucked at work.

Nothing much happening here just a week to go to my marriage blessing.I had my 20 weeks scan of the baby yesterday and it was amazing cos I could see the baby's facial expressions and soo many other stuff.

Wish you guys will be here but will send you lots of pictures later on.

Take care and keep doing what you're doing.

PS: Vien please please try to have a bath. Poor Sharan has to put up with smelly Vien!!!!!!!!

  Yaa Aug 17, 2007 5:45 PM

3

Hello Lil Smelly Vien

It good see( from your mails) that you are enjoying so much.

And have Fun

Cheers
Roopa

  Roopa Aug 17, 2007 5:56 PM

4

Hi Guys!"
Sharan , I 've never met Vien but I think you knew there would be some mis planning when he came to pick you up from Stansted ... oops, no he was sitting at Luton wasn't he!?! It's a good job you're fond of him or straight back down the recycled boyfriend shop!
Croatia is amazing ... enjoy!

Sharon x

  Sharon Aug 17, 2007 6:18 PM

5

Ahh memories.. planning every day, new hotel everyday, new food everyday -- same fears over stinky bathrooms, dirty rooms, con tricks, what to see, what not too see..

saying that i am so envious of you two..!

Mike
p.s. remember the fun is what you see and do and not what others tell you what to see and do..

  Mike Aug 17, 2007 8:28 PM

6

VERY old woman...who are you talking about stinky? I am so glad that you two are enjoying yourselves, stay safe and I look forward to the next installment.

Lots of love to you both xxxxx

  carla_and_dean Aug 18, 2007 1:19 AM

7

Suuup you guys!!!!! Your pics of relaxing in the sun, galivanting round the world not making me jealous one bit as I sit here feeling hot and pregnant on a cloudy, muggy English summer's day. It's all good tho, glad to see you guys are having fun. Don't worry Sharan, I am sure the women in Montenegro have nothing on you, you can pay me for that compliment later on. Keep safe you guys and so fresh and so clean. Lots of love, Oni

  Oni Aug 18, 2007 2:06 AM

8

Hey,

Sorr, but vien i had no doubt you would stuff something on your trip...didnt think it would be so early though.

I noticed your passing through germany early september. I arrive in dusseldorf on the 5th of september. so will be good if we could arrange to meet up or something. Let me know

Good luck

  pretesh Aug 18, 2007 9:22 PM

9

Hee Hee! I knew you would end up smelly, Sharan, thats the way it goes!
Ive been freezing in San Francisco this week (which is FAB, by the way) and now back in Florida for the tail end of the hurricaine that hit Jamaica, good waves for the surfers, though. Wish I had another 8 months travelling like you guys, don't know how I'm gonna cope with J,J,J,J and no S or B! when I get back!
Lots of love
Mrs Beverley Swerdlow Goldman Smith xx

  Bev Aug 22, 2007 2:45 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Croatia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.