Existing Member?

The long way home After 3 years in the UK we're off back home to NZ, but not before attempting to rid ourselves of the dreaded travel lurgy.

Zdravo, Dober Dan and Gruss Gott

AUSTRIA | Monday, 27 August 2007 | Views [1614] | Comments [3]

Postcard material

Postcard material

In the last week we’ve left Croatia and spent a few days in Ljubljana (Slovenia) and Salzburg (Austria).

We’re now taking trains instead of rickety old buses which is soo much more comfy although, worryingly in 10 mins we’re now both asleep (as opposed to just me). I was sweating at the train station as there are certain residency requirements which have to be met to validate your Eurail pass and I hadn’t. However, I had concocted a complex and totally ridiculous story where I left the UK got a new job in NZ which coincidentally allowed me to fly back to where I used to live in the UK on a regular basis and on 2 separate occasions fly halfway around the world, once for a weekend of car racing and then to a ‘friends funeral’ in Prague…hmm. Rather anticlimactically she just stamped the passes, I was relieved.

I have to admit, that I’m pretty stoked with the awesome natural sites we’ve seen. The Plitvice lakes in Croatia were beautiful, the water was soo clear and waterfalls were cool. We went for a cruise around the Kornati islands. Vien and I both got tempted by the free endless supply of wine for the day. The actual cruise wasn’t the greatest-lots of cheesy folk/love boat music and heaps of people on the boat. We stopped at this salt lake which didn’t look anything like the glossy pics- wasn’t too keen to go swimming there so we went for a trek through donkey pooh and jagged rocks (stupid me wearing flip flops aka jandals) and arrived at ‘the spot’. On the Kornati cliffs which were over 100m high, sheer and plunged straight down into water with 30m+ visibility and schools of fish with only a handful of people around. The 2 hours there flew by before we had to go back to the floating sardine tin.

Spent a day lazing about in picturesque Bled it was great but raining that day, we’ld love to go back on a sunny day.

We were both absolutely gobsmacked by the Skojan caves near Ljubljana it was a place straight out of Jules Vernes A Journey to the Centre of the Earth (Lonely planet quote).

Salzburg is where The Sound of Music was filmed and they’re a bit fanatical. Our hostel plays it every night so we decided to watch it with about 20 others for the first time. Now everywhere we go reminds us of the stupid movie, for instance I saw a deer out the window of the train the other day, cue ‘doe a deer, a female deer…’…very annoying!!!

The routine is becoming less alien now, sorting the packs, jumping on trains, buses and taxis, finding somewhere to sleep, remembering to check schedules for leaving a new place when we first arrive in, counting how many days of underwear left (don’t want to stuff that up!). We’ve even chanced our luck at finding accommodation on the day and stayed with 3 lovely families during our time in Croatia.

Next stop Salzkammergut lakes then Vienna. Miss you all loads, till next time xx.

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

Hey Vien, that was me in Croatia. I've been working security over there. I can't believe you didn't even come up and say hello. While your in Serbia can you grab us an AK47 or something
see ya
John

  John Aug 27, 2007 10:01 PM

2

You haven't been updating this religiously. I shall stop my subscription soon . . . x

  Eleanor Sep 9, 2007 7:58 PM

3

this is awesome. U could tell i am working really hard at work.I am very jealous I wish i was travelling

  shirin Oct 17, 2007 10:04 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.