Existing Member?

Me and the Lions!! He who wrestles with a gorilla will find his back dusty. - Jude Ezedike

Food and Lion Poo!

IRELAND | Friday, 11 July 2008 | Views [627] | Comments [1]

Hi everyone, Just finishing up my 4th day on the project now. I have done plenty of lion walks at this stage and two of the lions have been very affectionate, Tsango and Llangwe, they wal;k along beside you making funy noises asking to be rubbed or they slump on your feet, they are gorgeous! The 9 month olds were realy playful today, kept jumping and throwing themselves at each other and a bit of swimming!

Did my first bit of enclosure cleaning today, it is amazing what is normal here, I just walked into a lion enclosure with them roaming free with a shovel or bursh in my hand and thought nothing of it - although you always keep an eye of course!! I got to srub their water troughs and pick up their poo!! Another normal thing .. to be sitting on the back of a jeep with a well chewed cow's spine at your feet covered in flies!! Was a bit strange but again ... its normal here!! Will be doing meat prep soo nough which will be really disgusting , you have to chop up whole halves of animals to give to teh lions!!

Sorry I haven't told you about the food (Betty)!! It is very good but all hopes of losing weight have been dashed, it is carb central - bread, potatoes and rice all day , everyday and it is 3 full meals every day too ;-( Food is good but things are bad here - there is nothing in the shops, meat is in short supply and inflation makes it difficult for anyone to buy food in zimbabwean dollars. There are absoutely no fizzy drinks to be found here at the moment, not ain any shop that the campsite goes to and chocoalte is in very short supply!They o have one type of cadbury bar but I am determined to avoid all chocolate, no choc since sunday now although with all the carbs I will still have grown out of all my clothes, what am I going to wear in another few weeks!!

Food is always rice,roast potatoes, carrots and cabbage, chicken or beef and gravy ... every lunch and every dinner .. boring already but it is tasty. There is always some sort of dessert and you wouldnt believe teh desserts that I have forced down my throat just for a bit of sugar!!!

Voolunteers are all very nice, it is very calm, no mad parties which is grand, and just as well we are not gagging for beer because there is only 1 crate left and apparently very little in town!

I am going to stge 2 of the project for 4 days on Monday and there is no internet or phone there so I won't be in touch again before hte weekend. Going to the orphanage on saturday and it sounds like it is a pretty full on place so have to admit that I am not looking forward to it.

Hope you are all well at home,thanks for hte comments and mails xxxx

Comments

1

That sounds really great - beats the constant sky watching which is going on here! I like the hands on approach to lioning, the photos look terrific - lots of nice brown grass and people wearing shorts, oh, and lions too! I just hope the beer situation improves, that is a biot worrying!
Take care and have fun.
Philip

  Philip Hollwey Jul 11, 2008 7:51 PM

About vickymeredith


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.