Existing Member?

Me and the Lions!! He who wrestles with a gorilla will find his back dusty. - Jude Ezedike

My First Lion Walk

ZIMBABWE | Tuesday, 8 July 2008 | Views [608] | Comments [4]

Hi everyone,

Arrived in Zimbabwe on Sunday without any problems, just a VERY long journey!Stayed in a B and B on sunday night in Bulawayo for the night,got to watch the Wimbledon Final which was great :-) Spent yesterdy morning sitting in the sun waiting for my lift reading my book ... a real holiday feeling!

Got here to Antelope Park yesterday afternoon and it is fantastic!! Just missed the afternoon lion walk but did see the 3 9-month old cubs in teh distance! I have a big room to myself and the place is great,a gorgeous lake with lots of birds, a big open air eating area, fab food and a cool place for us volunteers to hang out. Everyone is lovely and very focused on teh lions and I can understand why!!

Up at 6 am this morning for my first wlk. It was me and another girl Correy who also arrived yesterday and we were out with the 3 9-month old cubs - Sango, Swahili and Sahara. They are fantastic!! Not scary at all and very independent. And walk is a bit of an exaggeration!! They spend most of their time lolling around! We were out for a long walk - 5 hours so it was hot by the time we got back and tehy were barely moving at that stage!!

Sango isthe most confident and friendly. A few minutes into the walk he walked straight at me,leaved against my legs and lay down on my feet ... I was delighted!! They love a good rub and were very docile this morning so it was a relaxing walk. The area is gorgeous and the Zimbabwean guides are very friendly and calm. Was a great morning! This afternnoon we are going on a training walk with two of the 18-month olds which will be very different - because they are hunting and one of them stalks anything that moves!!

Heading for lunch soon, having trouble getting my photos onto the computer but will keep trying! I'll be in touch again soon xxx

PS:no sign of any trouble over here for visitors :-)

Comments

1

Hi great to hear you are having fun! All well here although my Aunt Isobel died so was a bit sad about that. Keep having fun talk soon
Love Mum xxxxxxxxxx

  Mum Jul 9, 2008 3:20 AM

2

Hey Vik! sounds brilliant! nothing i'd like more than a bit of heat and sunright now-yes it's still pissing rain here you'll be delighted to know!the lions sound fab-hope teh bigger ones are as easy to handle!i'll email soon, big hugs, C :)

  Claire Jul 10, 2008 4:28 AM

3

Hi Vicky, what is it about you and animals and your feet? It sounds lovely so far, 6am is very early though!Don't forget to tell us about the food, Eliz xx

  Eliz Jul 10, 2008 11:16 PM

4

Hi Vicky, Claire passed on your link/mail! Sounds amazing! Have a brilliant time, I'm sure you'll come back with lots of stories and great memories. Take care of yourself and have fun, Elaine x

  Elaine Breslin Jul 15, 2008 7:08 PM

About vickymeredith


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Zimbabwe

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.