Existing Member?

Waves without borders Travelling in search of perfect waves

Hiking San Diego

USA | Wednesday, 13 August 2014 | Views [296]

For anyone that knows me amongst the multitude of things I like to fill my time with is hiking. I have felt somewhat deprived of this of late, I tried to hike at Laguna Beach Canyons but it was really just a canyon in amongst lots of motorways rather than being out amongst nature. One of my yoga teachers had suggested I check out two spots one on the beach called Torrey Pines and the other a spot infamous for people trying to get their shot for instagram and facebook known as Potato Chip Rock near Poway Lake. I have been rather busy of late but decided to take 2days to sneak both into my action packed life. Yesterday I went over to Torrey Pines and was disappointed to find yet again what I would call a small park as opposed to a wild hike, still it was rather pleasant with these ancient and almost extinct pines so I passed an enjoyable couple of hours trail running the whole thing before grabbing my yoga mat and hiking down the cliff to the beach for a post run practice. 

I then drove out 40mins away from the beach to small town known as Poway so that I could sleep over and get to the trail head when the park opened at dawn. I was delighted to find a lovely lake and a decent hike up through the scrub and boulders to potato chip rock..........yes I did get my money shot! All the reviews I´d read had me expecting huge hordes but whilst there were other hikers it was still relatively peaceful indeed I passed a good 10mins trying to capture the humming birds busy over the lake without seeing another soul (I still failed to get the shot though). 

Im now sat by the lake typing away in picturesque peace before the rest of my week which is lining up to be busy with yoga classes, talk of Salsa class and then this weekend heading back down to Baja for the windsurf competition.

 

Note for other travellers:

  • Don´t drive into Torrey Pines Park instead try to find parking along the road which is free

  • Poway lake park is closed at night but I found a great sleep over spot at an open trail head just of Old Couch Road

About vickey84


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.