Existing Member?

On the Loose in South America

A little luxury

PERU | Monday, 25 September 2006 | Views [322]

Last night, I made the journey from Piura, in Northern Peru.  I paid a little extra for a ´bus-cama´ seat, which was definately worth the expense.  For those who havent experienced a ´bus-cama´, you are missing out!  In terms of bus travel, I have never seen anything like it.  Think Qantas first-class, but on a bus.  The 1st floor of the bus comprises 14 large leather seats that fully recline, and pasengers are waited on day and night by ´bus hostesses´, serving complementary drinks, meals etc.  And all of this for a small US$25 for a 15-hour journey!

I reached Lima this morning, and the pampering has continued.  Having arrived ahead of my parents, I checked into the hotel that they had pre-booked.  Mum told me they had chosen ´modest but decent´ hotels, but I would definately class this one as deluxe!  In terms of price and standard, it is a far cry from the backpacker circuit.  An so, I intend to lap up the luxury while it lasts!

As for the city of Lima, it seems to be a dramatic contrast of glitzy tourist hotels, restaurants and casinos, and run-down markets and local slums.  A thick layer of fog lies over the city preventing the sun from shining through, although apparently this clears by the summer months (December to March).  It is not the most beautiful city Ive visited, although it seems reasonably safe, and the people are pleasant.

On that note, it´s time for me to relish the delights of my deluxe hotel! (Must enjoy it while it lasts - Such comfort will not exist in Bolivia´s bargain backpacker hostels!).

Hasta Luego!

Tags: A Little Luxury

About vegemite_vagabond


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.