Existing Member?

Sue's work travels A short journal of my work trips. A way to easily keep the family and friends updated back home and to share some of the things I experience. Enjoy, Sue :)

My weekend

HONG KONG | Sunday, 20 May 2007 | Views [608]

First things first - when they say it is going to rain, or there will be thunderstorms in Hong Kong - they MEAN it!!!!

We have had some awesome lightening and heavy rain over the weekend. The wind was really strong - and being up on a higher floor, you could hear it against the building, kind of freaky.

SaturdayAfter quite a leisurely morning, I headed off to catch the MTR over to Hong Kong Island (I stay on Kowloon Peninsular). Public transport here is so easy, clean and convenient, you honestly don't even think twice about having to catch it. I wandered around the shopping district where there is such a mixture of modern and old shopping experiences. There is every designer you could think of here - a watch shop or 4 on every street!

I wandered through a market which was nestled in among really steep steps going upwards (at least the direction I was heading :). The stalls consisted of crafts, buttons, masks (like vampire faces, clown faces etc), cloth, and hardware knick knacks. It was amazing - and clearly catering for the locals. Not one person approached me even when I stopped at a stall to look.

I found Marks and Spencers and indulged in a few articles of clothing :)

I had lunch in this place called ThreeSixty. It is within a building called the Landmark. On one floor they have an organic supermarket like the one Macro back in Melbourne. Then on the next floor up, is a food hall all based on organic, healthy eating. It was really interesting to wander around, and I had a really nice Vietnamese lunch in there with a carrot, ginger and apple juice :)

When I arrived back at Mongkok station and was walking toward the exit, there was a sea of people in front of me blocking the exit. I couldn't see what the issue was so headed off for another exit. The next one I found was only beginning to clog up with bodies. I realised that a huge downpour had started, so people were waiting for it to pass.  I had packed an umbrella, so was able to push my way through and head out into the deluge of water.  The drops were as big as my umbrella!!!

Large puddles of water had already formed. I only had to walk approx 100m to get into the Shopping complex that joins the Hotel, but within that space, my shoes, backpack and shins were absolutely drenched. When I reached the door, there were a group of girls giggling hysterically at the fact that they too were drenched.

I went up to the gym and did a workout at night. It was awesome to watch the lightening light up the sky whilst working out.

Sunday
Can you believe I was awake at 7.30am on a Sunday!!! I tried desperately to go back to sleep, but ended up getting up and heading down for breakfast. Strangely enough, there weren't many people around at 8:15 on a Sunday!

It has been raining non-stop for HOURS. I had planned to go to another market, but no way I am heading that far in this REAL rain :) So I instead only wandered a couple of streets away - they are all becoming so familiar to me now.

So today has been about studying for my exam and lazing around. They have just delivered my laundry. So another 'feature' of being in the 'Club' is your laundry arrives back wrapped in pink tissue paper, with lavender potpourri sitting within a cane basket. Oh and you get better quality coat hangers for the articles that hang (including my PJ's top - hehehe!)

I think that's about it for now. The rain has stopped, so I may wander down to the night markets once it get's dark.

That's all from me for now

Sue
x

Tags: The Great Outdoors

About vectragizmo


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Hong Kong

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.