Existing Member?

Roadtrip Australia: Van-Tastic NSW - KIRSTY AND CARLY Kirsty and Carly embark on the ultimate Aussie roadtrip as they motor around New South Wales with Van-Tastic Adventures for six action-packed, free-wheeling weeks of adventure.

SURF CAMP!

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 3 November 2009 | Views [1265]

Hey guys!  Carly here.

Last week we went on an awesome surf camp with Surf Camp Australia.  It was sooo good.  We loved it and it and it is definitely one of the best things we have done on our trip.  Three vans full of surfers were picked up from Sydney on Monday morning, and we headed to Seven Mile Beach, south of Sydney.

Because it was over four days, Kirsty and I really got to see ourselves progress.  It was so cool.  We surfed twice a day for two hours each time.   We ate, surfed, ate, surfed, and slept.  Then we did it all again the next day.  It was a routine I got very accustomed to.  We stayed at in cabins at a caravan park just off the beach.  We got great food the whole time, and plenty of it which was great to feed our mega surfing appetites!  On the last day we got to experience one of the aspects of the life of a 'real surfer' which was to get up at 6am and surf before breakfast!  Yeah!  
When we weren't surfing, we hung out with all the backpackers - mostly from Europe and North America - who were on the camp with us.  They also had pro surfing DVDs playing a lot of the time which were great for inspiration.  One of the favourite down-time activities was playing Giant Jenga.  Another game one night involved countries competing to see who could pick up a small cardboard box off of the ground with only their teeth as it gradually became smaller in size and lower to the ground.  Good times.   
All of the instructors and kitchen staff were cool as.  Our instructor Chriso was a champ.  He was so friendly and helped us out lots.  He taught us how to stand up on the board, how to move across the waves, how to get the timing right for catching the green waves out the back, and how to paddle through the bigger waves with eskimo rolls.  Thanks Chriso! 
We also were taught stuff back at the caravan park like surf etiquette, different types of surf conditons, types of boards, and lots of other important stuff. We also got to review hundreds of photos of each of us surfing so we could see how our technique could be improved and also see ourselves progress.  
It certainly seems to be the perfect environment to learn how to surf!
Thanks Surf Camp Australia!!!  
Carly

Tags: nsw, roadtrip australia, seven mile beach, surf camp, surf camp australia, surfing, sydney, van-tastic

About vantasticnsw


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.