Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Tahiti, Society Islands

FRENCH POLYNESIA | Tuesday, 23 April 2019 | Views [198]

Maasdam docked in downtown Papeete

Maasdam docked in downtown Papeete

IMAGINE A NINE HUNDRED FOOT CRUISE SHIP pulling up right downtown.  That’s pretty much how the Maasdam docked at Papeete — just across from the mall!  And wouldn’t you know it, there wasn’t a taxi in sight.

n

     Maraa Grotto

Connie had wanted to visit Parc Aorai Tini Hau but when we finally found a cab, it wasn’t on anyone’s itinerary.  Instead we booked a 4-hour island tour with a local.  Elise agreed to take six of us in her new air-conditioned van to the same places the Holland America excursion buses go for 1/3 the cost, and would have us back at the ship in time for lunch.  If there is a message here it is that you can travel independently, even on a cruise.  It will cost you less and you will be benefitting the local economy directly.  You might even meet some locals. 

n     nn

  Welcoming Committee                     Tatoo — it's an island thing

The tour covered the basic tourist sites; a couple of waterfalls, an ancient religious site, a blowhole, the botanic garden and a 60-minute circumnavigation of the island.   We broke from the others to do some birding when we could but were otherwise our usual charming selves.

mm     nn

  Botanic Gardens                              1867 European Lighthouse

This would be our last actual docking until San Francisco and the only one where we would remain overnight.  So I spent the afternoon soaking up some rays on deck while Connie downloaded photos and tried to identify some birds.

 

Tags: cruising french polynesia

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about French Polynesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.