Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

A Snake In The Grass

ECUADOR | Tuesday, 26 March 2019 | Views [217]

Fer-de-Lance, Cuidado! (photo from Internet)

Fer-de-Lance, Cuidado! (photo from Internet)

CONNIE AND I PLAYED HOOKEY TODAY.  We slept in and spent the moring at the Ramada Hotel in Guayaquil while Dusan and the rest of the group traveled more than 100 miles away looking for shorebirds and estuarine species.  I, for one, have had enough long travel days cramped in the van, box lunches and early starts — and other people.  Besides, we’ve seen everything they are likely to encounter.

 mm

   El Oro Parakeet

We had a bit of excitement on Sunday while out searching for endangered El Oro Parakeets that were rumored to still be around the reserve.  While we were snapping photos of the colorful parrots, Dusan was startled by a snake in the grass.  He nearly stepped on a deadly fer-de-lance, a truly bad motor-scooter.  It really scared the crap out of him.  Connie, standing next to him, saw it slither off into the grass.  None of us thought to get a photo.

bb

    Brown Inca

We stopped at the Hummingbird Garden to wait for Nestor who took the van to vote.  Yes, it’s finally election day and all the hullaballoo is over.  Ecuadorians, by the way, are required to vote or pay a hefty fine.  While we waited I got decent photos of a Violet-tailed Sylph and a Brown Inca, two new hummers for the trip. 

nn     nn

     Violet-tailed Sylph                        Violet-tailed Sylph

The trip is over for us.  We will catch a ride to the airport when the group returns.  Our flight isn’t until just before midnight and we hope to grab a few Zs before it leaves.  Bird-wise, it was a success with more than 620 species recorded.  Connie added 211 birds to her Life List, placing her firmly under #200 among those who keep track of those things.

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.