Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

A Day At The Beach

USA | Saturday, 12 January 2019 | Views [221]

Retired, Bunche Preserve, San Carlos Beach

Retired, Bunche Preserve, San Carlos Beach

THERE IS SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE AT THE BEACH.  And the Fort Myers area has a number of beaches to choose from.  The most costly are, appropriately, located on Sanibel Island.  Beach access is actually free but a combination of the $6 bridge toll and the outrageous $5/hour parking fees are more than a bit off-putting.  If you have a bike you can park for free at the Ding Darling NWS and pedal to the beach of your choice.  If the tides are right, early shellers can probably dodge the parking fees and leave before anyone knows you were there.

mm     n

     Flotsam . . .                                 and Jetsam

Parking is an issue at South Fort Myers beach, too.  We’ve taken to leaving the truck in the shopping center where the Farmers’ Market sets up and walking to a semi-hidden beach access.  After a nice beach walk — we’re not much into baking ourselves any more — we can pick up some fresh veggies.  Parking at the Bunche Reserve costs a reasonable $2 per hour, and for beach-walkers and birders who will pass the ticket machine often, you can pay hour-by-hour.

nn

    Searching for treasure

Beachcombers come in all shapes and sizes.  Some have invested hundreds of dollars in metal detectors, hoping to find gold dubloons or a lost engagement ring in the sand.  Most are satisfied with some loose change.  Shell-collectors have that Kokopelli look, all stooped-over with a baggy filled with shells instead of the flute.  Binoculars and long-lensed cameras identify us birders.  Mostly we travel singly or in pairs, but sometimes organized groups combine both birding and photography.  Saturday moring yoga classes take advatage of the tranquility of the beach — and they don’t need mats.

bb      bb

    Birding and photography                     Saturday AM Yoga

But my favorite is the guy in his beach chair on the sandbar watching the tide, Otis Redding-like.  Ain't retirement great!

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.