Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Birding Bonus Day

TANZANIA | Sunday, 30 September 2018 | Views [173]

Like father, like son — Nasib and Omari

Like father, like son — Nasib and Omari

OMARI PICKED US UP FROM OUR DOWNTOWN HOTEL at 9AM with Nasib as his co-pilot.  We hadn’t seen his son since our 2006 safari when he was only three days old.  He is a good looking 12-year old now, quiet and polite as most African kids are but curious and friendly, too. This was a bonus day of birding — not guide/client but just friends, a day we will cherish.

bb

       Nasib, 12 years old

We stopped along the way to pick up Faraha, one of Omari’s employees and an up-and-coming bird guide.  He and Omari pointed out bird after bird as we stopped along the road outside of Arusha.  This was a bonus day of birding, sort of a family affair.  Connie was getting back in the swing of real African birding and Omari is a much better birder than he was 12 years ago.  Nasib had his binoculars up, too.

bb

   Engikaret, home to Beeseley's Lark and patrolled by the Masai

Our goal was the nearly extinct Beesley’s lark, an unremarkable bird that lives only in the Masai controlled Engikaret Preserve.  It was certainly no match for the Cory Bustard, the world’s largest flying bird.  Our count for the day was 59 species with ten lifers for Connie.

bb

   Kori Bustard

Omari had told us that Fatima was expecting but we weren’t aware that it was an “any time now” deal.  As it turned out, today was the day.  When he and Nasib met us for dinner, Omari hugged Connie and said “It’s a Connie” just as he told us “It’s a John” when Nasib was born.  Now Nasib has another four kilos of baby sister to go with his other three.

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.