Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Birding Cuba: In Search of Endemics

CUBA | Tuesday, 6 February 2018 | Views [317]

Cuban Toady

Cuban Toady

THIS WAS A VERY "UN-ROCKJUMPER" TRIP.  There were only five other birders and only two of them were serious.  Which is OK since Cuba, with only 26 endemic species, doesn’t draw the more serious “listers.”  Arturo Jr. (his father, Senior, is the other notable bird guide in Cuba) didn’t see the need to start the day at “o-dark-thirty” the way Rockjumper does and let us sleep in until 6:30 for a 7:30 departure.  

mm     nn

   Cuban Grassquit                            Yellow-faced Grassquit

Ivan had the brand new Chinese 16-passenger bus waiting and drove us to our first birding stop, a local pig farm.  But the birding was good despite the smells; Cuban and yellow-faced grassquits abounded and we also saw our first of many quetzal-like Cuban trogons before heading off to lunch.

bb

   Cuban Trogon

Also, unlike Rockjumper, Arturo gave us some free-time after lunch to sort our photos and recharge batteries before going out to Valle Encon for a couple more endemics, including my vote for bird-of-the-trip, the Cuban tody.  The total for Day 1: 48 species in all and 20 lifers for Connie.

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cuba

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.