Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Leaving on a Jet Plane — Again!

USA | Wednesday, 29 March 2017 | Views [263]

Visas, a necessary evil.

Visas, a necessary evil.

WE WERE A LITTLE CONCERNED WITH THE VISA PROCESS.  Mailing our passports to a foreign embassy was way out of our comfort zone so using a visa service, expense be damned, was the only option.  It took two full days to assemble all the documents; RT plane tickets, hotel reservations, itinerary, letter of invitation and even a financial statement.  Plus a hefty fee.  But — fingers crossed, touch wood — they are back in our hands, properly visa'd and we are ready to go to Cameroon tomorrow. We have even started taking our malaria pills.

We will put the RV in storage right here at Happy Travelers and one of the staff will take us to the airport.  We are not looking forward to the flight.  Tampa-Dulles-Brussels-Douala.  We will arrive, Insha Allah, a day early so we can rest up but I'm sure the 5-hour time change will kick my butt.  West to East always does.  This will be our second RockJumper birding tour, second and third actually, as we are taking back-to-back trips within Cameroon.

Cameroon will be our 18th African country but our first in West Africa.  While our compatriots will probably be thrilled with the large mammals, we could hardly care less.  Bring on the birds.  Accommodations sound a bit dodgey with several days of camping, so I'm not expecting internet connectivity.  In other words, we will be out of touch until the 23d of April.

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.