Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Circle B Bar Ranch

USA | Sunday, 26 March 2017 | Views [284]

Great blue heron, wood stork and sandhill cranes; Circle Bar B Ranch

Great blue heron, wood stork and sandhill cranes; Circle Bar B Ranch

ROD AND LOIS TOLD US ABOUT CIRCLE B BAR RANCH and their photographer friend John Young who likes it so much that he moved down from Massachusetts.  Cirlce B gets rave reports from birders and our first visit made believers of us.  So we arranged to meet John and Sandra for some birding.

mm

   Glossy ibis

John knows where all the usual suspects hang out and we hadn’t left the parking lot when he pointed out one of the resident barred owls.  There were at least 15 species in the first wetland pond we visited, and the lighting was fantastic.  John took ten times as many photos as I, his motor drive humming like a dynamo.  That may be the secret to his success, but I am too lazy to scan so many photos trying to sort out the best from the merely good.  Sandra rode her tricycle to save her knees.  She carried a camera but her real talent is as an artist.  Her photos are reference shots for her art.

mm

   Great (and not yet great) Blue Heron

Some of the birds are donning breeding plumage while others are already rearing their young.  The sound of a pair of great blue heron chicks screeching for food filled the air while the often vocal limpkin silently shepherded her brood though the grass.  And the prehistoric ‘gators lolled contentedly in the sun.

nn

    Limpkin clan

You can view some of John's work at flickr.com/photos/johns60  You'll be impressed. I was.

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.