Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Ding Darling National Wildlife Sanctuary

USA | Wednesday, 1 February 2017 | Views [245]

Great and snowy egrets, Ding Darling National Wildlife Sanctuary

Great and snowy egrets, Ding Darling National Wildlife Sanctuary

OUR DAILY BIRDING RECORD for Sanibel is 43 species — 14 of them on one sandbar!  But that was in the fall in a year beset by tropical storms.  While the numbers aren’t as great this winter, birding at Ding Darling National Wildlife Sanctuary is always rewarding.  

Even if you don’t see as many species as you hoped, the shear number of birds is astounding.  As the adage “birds of a feather” goes, there will be platoons of white pelicans, flats of wading egrets, herds of herons, swarms of sanderlings, troops of ruddy turnstones, soaring ospreys and white ibis galore.  

nn

   Roseate spoonbills

Connie, who doesn’t expect to add to her life list (4109) while we are in the US, started a year list of sightings.  She is already up to one-oh-one.  And I have bettered many of my previous photos.  I would like to say I’ve become more skilled (true) but I won’t discount luck, either.  And did I mention my upgraded equipment?

A walk on any of the well-maintained trails will reward you not only with solitude, but a chance to see palm warblers, white-eyed vireo and several species of woodpeckers.  Our favorite is the pileated woodpecker, usually identified first by his echoing, machine-gun staccato pecking.

bb

  Pileated woodpecker

There is a $6 toll (ouch) to cross the causeway to the islands and another $5 per vehicle to enter the sanctuary.  But if you have a National Parks pass or, better yet the lifetime Golden Age or “Geezer” pass, it’s free — as are all National Parks.  If you are 62 or older, it will be the best ten bucks you ever spent.

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.