Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

The Gulf Coast: Naples

USA | Sunday, 1 January 2017 | Views [245]

Gator, Corkscrew Swamp Audubon Refuge

Gator, Corkscrew Swamp Audubon Refuge

SPACE AT FLORIDA'S RV PARKS is at a premium in winter with snowbirds reserving a year in advance.  We were lucky to book a month at Club Naples on the west coast, a real bargain with everything we could ask for except location.  Everyplace we wanted to go was a bit of a drive.  

NN

  Origami and birds at Naples Botanic Garden

Even so, by the end of our month we felt that we had explored every nook and cranny.  Our favorites were birding at Big Cypress National Preserve, Audubon’s Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary and even at the Naples Botanic Garden with a special display of origami.  For a diversion there was shelling (and birding) along Marco Islands Tigertail Beach.  

bb     n

  Swamp lilly, Corkscrew                       River otters, Corkscrew

Christmas slipped by with hardly a notice but we spent a chilly New Year’s Eve morning helping with the Audubon Christmas Bird Count along Naples’ very upscale beaches.  The Count is one of the oldest “citizen science” endeavors, with thousands of participants world wide.  With the help of Ana we added 39 species to the list.  My New Year’s resolution to update this journal fell by the wayside.  I hope your resolutions lasted longer than mine.

mm     mm

  Connie and Ana                               Ruddy turnstones

 

Connie’s bad molar has bothered her off and on since Cooperstown, so she finally bit the bullet and went to the endodontist for a root canal.  Two weeks, five appointments and a couple of grand later, she was as good as new.  I went to the chiropractor for my aching neck and now we’re set for the year.  Knock on wood.

 

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.