Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Karlovy Vary

CZECH REPUBLIC | Sunday, 24 May 2015 | Views [299]

Karlovy Vary

Karlovy Vary

WHEN EASTERN EUROPE WAS A NEW AND EXOTIC destination for Americans, a trip to the Czech Republic meant a visit to Prague and maybe a day trip to Cesky Krumlov.  That’s what we did back in 2002.

Today we are older, more experienced and, let’s face it, wealthier and the Czech Republic is a card carrying member of the EU.  Except for the incomprehensible language and the koruna (not euro) currency it is almost indistinguishable from Germany.  There are hotels, spas and pensions for every taste and budget, most with wifi, many with free parking and sometimes even BBC or CNN.

nn

   Older, wiser, richer... and on the road

With our rented Skoda, that VW clone made in Eastern Europe, we have the freedom to really see the country.  Connie, our tour guide, has compiled a list of “1000 Places” and World Heritage Sites we weren’t aware of in ’02.  The drive from Prague to Karlovy Vary was mostly on highways but since then our route has been mostly on scenic backroads through farms and forests and villages with tongue-twisting unpronounceable names.

mm

   Karlovy Vary

We spent Sunday night in the spa town of Karlovy Vary whose waters are rumored to have healed Charles IV’s injured foot way back when.  Despite its distance from the Mediterranean, Karlovy Vary reminded us of Monte Carlo, the pastel buildings exuding feelings of wealth, privilege and avarice.  In fact scenes for the Bond movie, Casino Royale, were filmed here.  We heard some American but most visitors were Germans or Austrians who crossed the border to “take the waters.”

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Czech Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.