Existing Member?

Uganda Retrospective Our thoughts, experiences and photos from six months as volunteers for the Jane Goodall Institute in Uganda.

Masindi Town Meeting

UGANDA | Saturday, 10 June 2006 | Views [673]

Late in the afternoon we packed and went to Kinyara to dine and stay with Chris and Rose.  We had a nice time and finished up with homemade ice cream, a real treat.  After a British breakfast of baked egg, cheese and bacon, Chris took us on a tour of the sugar works with great views of the area from some of the hills.  Only half of the sugar they process is grown on the estate.  The rest of the 64,000 tons is grown by local independent farmers coordinated and overseen by Richard.  Ugandans use more than 300,000 tons annually, the bulk of which is home-grown but they still import more than 60,000 tons from Kenya.

We rode into town in the back of their pick-up truck, a little bumpy and dusty, and went to the tourism seminar organized by Sue and Sally, who is in the UK and couldn’t attend.  The event was scheduled for noon but started an hour late, not bad for African time but with all the speeches lunch was delayed until three.  Towards the end Ben and Stu showed up with Chris, our Kalinzu replacement, and Luke, a photographer friend.  Ben doesn’t appear quite the responsible leader we thought at first.  He seems to have his own agenda at times.  It is good to be back.  Somehow the entire day seemed like we had suddenly been transported out of Uganda.  Too many new faces I guess and no way to keep things in context.

About ugandaretrospective

This says it all

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Uganda

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.