Existing Member?

Looking for the Fifth Elephant

By the time you've lost all feeling in your face ...

POLAND | Friday, 23 February 2007 | Views [559] | Comments [3]

... you know it's probably getting a bit cold.

I think I've acclimatized nicely to the weather in Poland.  Mum would probably be ready to fall on her sword but I don't find the cold too bad.

Let me rephrase that, I don't find the cold too bad when I'm outside.  For about two weeks the heating wasn't working properly in the flat and do you think I could buy a tracksuit that wasn't one of those ultra-expensive 'label' ones that didn't actually have any fleece in them anyway?

But I digress.  On Sunday I was walking back from the supermarket and I thought it felt quite warm, almost summery so I checked the thermostat.  3 degrees.  There have been several occasions where I've noticed my face going numb but I don't really find it too uncomfortable.  Last night the condensation from everyone's breath was frozen to the windows of the bus.  Buses generally aren't heated...

Snow is another matter entirely.  You discover fairly quickly why most Poles hate it.  True, it makes everything look very pretty and if your visiting in winter as a tourist you should hope for snow because otherwise everything looks dead. 

Actually living here is a different matter all together.  It's hard to walk through, your pants get wet, it gets really dirty really quickly and it turns into sludge which makes it even harder to walk.  It can also hurt a bit if you're walking around while it's snowing.  It gets into your eyes, you open you're mouth and the flakes just fall right in, making you wonder just how polluted it is.  Imagine being caught in a sandstorm, it's a similar feeling.  And when it starts to melt, ugh! 

Storm drains are few and far between here, come to think of it so are gutters.  The roads and footpaths are often full of potholes.  Sometimes the puddles are so big you just can't avoid them.  The problem is that they're dark and semi-frozen so you can't tell how deep they and these potholes can be BIG.  There is nothing like the sensation of stepping in a puddle you can't avoid only to have your boots filled with freezing water.  I speak from experience.  Also, you have to make sure you don't stand near the road (assuming you can tell where the road starts and the footpath ends) unless you want to get soaked to the skin by the big van who just happens to drive into that huge, filthy puddle.

I also haven't had the chance to make a snowman or even a snowball :(

All that aside I'm told this hasn't been a 'real Polish winter'.  Not enough snow, hasn't been down to minus 30 enough etc etc.  People always take a pride in the extreme.

Tags: Snow

Comments

1

Y'know, "But I digress" is one of my (in)famous trademark expressions. Maybe you're turning into me? :P

I love snow but I know what you mean about it being better for tourists than it is for residents.

When you finally get a chance to make a snowball, make sure you have a full-scale snowball fight. Great fun! :D

  Daniel Mar 6, 2007 10:38 PM

2

I didn't know you had a trademark on that phrase :p

I was told 'it's not the right type of snow' for snowball fights or snowmen :( Most of it you don't really want to touch a couple of hours after it's fallen anyway.

I've been told by my fellow flat mates that snow in Poland is a much different experience to snow in the UK as well.

  twoflower Mar 10, 2007 8:49 PM

3

Hi Mikaela....well, it certainly sounds like you are having a great adventure..sort of like being dropped on another planet. Working a full time job is always tough, but doing it in another language adds another dimension. You are certainly having your horizons broadened with some of the things you are seeing...Aushwitz and Berkinow (not sure of the correct spelling) must have been haunting. Friends of mine visited them recently and are still having nightmares ...also the salt mine you mentioned....said it was astounding. Love from me - also Doug and Josh ...keep the info coming XXXXXXXX

  jenni Mar 12, 2007 5:29 PM

About twoflower


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Poland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.