Existing Member?

Tracy's Journey

Visiting Mamallapuram

INDIA | Friday, 25 February 2011 | Views [767]

Barbara and I took a day to visit Mamallapuram, which is famous for its rock carvings and temples. It is an exciting 2-hour taxi ride from Auroville passing many small towns, rice fields, and salt fields. We visited the Shore Temple, which is right on the Bay of Bengal and was originally constructed around the 7th century. We also visited the Five Rathas (which is five separate temples honoring the Hindu gods: Durga (Shiva’s wife), Arjuna, Vishnu, Surya & Indra (sun gods). The most amazing fact about these temples is that they were all carved out of one rock.  We also saw other temples honoring Arjuna, Ganesh, and Trimurti Cave Temple (Hindu trinity – Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva). There is also a huge boulder called Krishna’s Butter Ball that is precariously balanced, but immovable (even thru earthquakes and tsunamis). 

I've been keeping busy with the playgroup in the morning and then in the afternoons/evenings going to talks, a musical performance, and a dance performance. I have made friends with a couple of older ladies. We went to dinner one night in Podicherry to a really nice French restaurant with a buffet and had some Indian wine. It was nice having some more normal food. I was sitting there with them listening to all their travel stories and thinking that each one of them is me in a next generation. One is 67 and then the other is in her eighties. They are so much more travel savvy than I and get to experience more that way. Sometimes I still feel like I am missing out on things because I am so cautious and not really delving into the culture. I wish I had more time to travel around in India because I know I am not getting the true sense of India. I guess I will just have to come back another time. 

I have also been enjoying our evening meals where we end up having quite the enticing & interesting conversations about the world, cultural differences, having a global world, and the raising of human consciousness. The majority at our table are Americans who have traveled all over the world and then a girl from India, and a girl from Nepal. For my Sophia Project family, even a couple of them know Robert and I was very proud to say that I know him and had the wonderful opportunity to be a part of a study group with him.

Barbara, Rashmie, and myself went into Pondicherry for the late afternoon and evening. We enjoyed walking along the waterfront, being blessed by the elephant, and spending some time in a beautiful meditation garden. We then treated ourselves to a nice meal and had a really nice evening enjoying each other’s company.

Today was my last day with the children. They have really started warming up to me now that it is time for me to leave. Even a couple of them that haven’t paid any attention to me came up to play with me today. I have enjoyed my time with them. They are very well adjusted and happy. I can really see the difference between them and the children at the orphanages.  

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.