Existing Member?

Tracy's Journey

Having a fun day in Nairobi

KENYA | Thursday, 20 January 2011 | Views [617]

After a rather particular hard day at the hospital, we decided to take a day for recuperation and visit the animal orphanage and the giraffe center. The animal orphanage has cheetahs, lions, & monkeys and a few other animals that had been rescued from the wild. It was actually like a zoo. However, they get visitors from the wild because they are close to Nairobi National Park. We kept seeing monkeys that were not in cages and we kept thinking maybe they got out. But as we were leaving, we asked someone and they said no they are wild and they come to visit their friends. As we were leaving, in a wide-open space near the entrance were approx. 10 or more baboons running around, all different sizes. As we were standing, trying to take pictures a great big one ran up to Tammi and really scared her and then I was walking towards them and I thought he was going to get me too. But luckily, someone ran over and shooed them away.  We also saw a family of warthogs lying under the bushes taking a nap. I am glad they were asleep because two of them were huge. We also went to the giraffe center. We were able to feed them and pet them. Laura even got some wet kisses! Uucckk! Not me, I could barely let them eat out of my hand. There was a little girl there who was feeding them and she would just put her whole hand in their mouth. Too slimy, for me!

 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.