Existing Member?

Tracy's Journey

Finally Made It!

EGYPT | Sunday, 3 October 2010 | Views [463] | Comments [2]

I have finally made it to Ethiopia after being stuck in Cairo for two days.  With only two hours of sleep in about a 36-hour period, I had the opportunity to experience being at the mercy of the KLM airport ground crew at 1:30 am. Being a transferring passenger, they roll out the red carpet and have you sit in a transfer station while they go and search for your bags and within 45 minutes they skirt you off to another holding room in a different terminal where you are then relinquished of your passport until at a time unknown they give it back to you.  With the amount of time it took them to help me, the booking for my flight closed and they would not let me on (which later I find out the flight was delayed until 4:50 pm). I am then escorted to an area and was told I had to purchase a visa to go in to the Departures terminal where I am told to go find an Ethiopian Airlines office. So off I go, finally found the office upstairs down a long, dark, narrow hallway. Luckily, someone was there but they could do nothing for me.  They said I would have to go the office in the city on Saturday morning (it’s now Thursday morning). Hence, there is no ticketing in the airport.  So now what, they were nice enough to make a call for me to take me to the nearest hotel.  After many hours of trying to fix this (because of my lack of sleep), I finally decided to get some sleep. After sleeping, I was able to think more clearly and contact the travel company that setup my tickets. So after many phone calls, they were able to get me on a flight Sunday at 2:35 am.  I am now ready to meet my volunteer coordinator and see how my schedule will be arranged.

 

Comments

1

Tracy you are so brave!!! I can't wait to hear more!

  Sarah Deurloo Oct 5, 2010 3:23 AM

2

I agree, you are Brave, But what a wonderful experience so far. I am sure it was pain in the butt while you were going through it but you live and learn and move on! Sounds like you are going to see some amazing things. I want to go to Amsterdam after I seen the pictures. Be safe! I can't wait to see more.

  Jennifer Lorenz Oct 5, 2010 9:57 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.