Existing Member?

trekking through the world

Sharing Stories - A Glimpse into Another's Life - Travel brings changes

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 1 March 2013 | Views [193] | Scholarship Entry

I recently had a spade of bad luck where my career was concerned and back home in India, everything seemed dull and dreary. It had been 11years since my sister had invited me to Australia and I guess this was the best time to take the offer. I hopped on a plane and went to visit her. I had heard great things about this country. I thought 'since my life was down the crapper anyway, why not go where things will seem good and different. '

Australia is rich in many things, and there's always something to write home about. I saw the many sites & the riches that people had through mining in Western Australia. I seemed like a pygmy in front of all the strong and well built Australians. I realized how they loved their food in 'huge portions'. There seemed to have an abundance of wealth. I started to compare my life and had thoughts of immigrating to a better life.

I guess! travel and culture does open up the doors for you. It is the land of opportunity yes! but what does really matter to me is the fact that I'm never HOME.

I noticed how people spent most of their lives living off credit/ plastic money, having to work 3 jobs to pay off the bills. Young mothers stretching for a pack of cigarettes rather than a carton of milk for a crying/ hungry baby. Neighbors didn't really know each other's names and had lived besides them for 10 yrs or more.

I also did notice the patience with which people waited at the petrol station, in queues at the mall, or would rather wait for you to move, than say 'excuse me!'.

I sat in my sisters home and i thought about my sorry life. It wasn't so "sorry" after all!.

India may be the 2nd largest populated country but it's 'Home'. People are hot -headed, but they're friendly, they could connect with you withing 5 min of meeting you. A glimpse of my life- one that was chaotic and dreary, suddenly seemed to be 'rich' in more ways than one.

Travels brings things in perspective. When one travels it's often the smaller things that one notices about the culture, that makes you want to count the blessings or make the changes in your life.

Every journey will tell a story and everytime I've traveled to a new country / city, my perspective on life changes, it makes me want to do it more. People, culture , food and language have so much more to teach you than 'books' & degrees.

I could spend '1000'ds ' of dollars on educating myself, but i choose to spend a few $100'ds on plane tickets an a journal and travel the world. :)

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About trekker80

Thailand

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.