Existing Member?

trekking through the world

My Scholarship entry - Giving back on the road

WORLDWIDE | Tuesday, 6 March 2012 | Views [242] | Scholarship Entry

In 2008 I made my first trip out of home to the 'land of smiles' - Thailand.
I was looking for a change in my life back in India and working from the age of 18 had tired me out. I needed a fresh career and I paused to think, what I had always dreamed about doing with my life. I finally put my finger on it,- it was to travel and see the world. What better option than 'Teaching English and travelling?.
So, I applied for my course and thought giving back to society what I could do best - TEACH. I packed my bags and headed to 'Phuket' and attended a TEFL course for 4 weeks; It was an experience I will always remember.
From the culture of the place to the fantastic people I met, the locals I befriended, and the fabulous food, It was all so fascinating.

I realized that not only do people of other nationalities respect and appreciate the little you can do for them, but in most ways the world is connected. I found it very easy to mix and understand their culture because it was so close to mine.
The food the local scenery the night life, all captured my attention.

My course had me teach local students English for 4 weeks, and it was a great experience. Hard work! but I loved every minute of it.

I hired a bike and rode through the streets of Nai Harn, Patpong and the likes. While I write this story, I can almost picture myself riding those streets and winding roads, sitting and sipping all the cocktails on the beach. Talking to locals who thought I looked just like them, and mistook me for one of their own :).

Realizing how important learning English meant to them to get better jobs, and aspire to move out of Phuket and to bigger cities, made me want to do my best at teaching and helping them in whatever way I could.

My journal of experiences has never been as fruitful as my first trip to Thailand and Teaching English hasn't been this much fun.

I hope to trek my way through the world, and giving back the little I can to make someone smile.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About trekker80

Thailand

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.