Existing Member?

UK Adventure

Leaving Cardiff

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 27 June 2008 | Views [516]

Bridge over the River Severn which separates England from Wales

Bridge over the River Severn which separates England from Wales

We left Cardiff for the last time today which felt quite strange. Each time we have ventured off to explore, we've returned to Cardiff. While we are looking forward to all that Oxfordshire holds, today's trip begins the last part of our journey before we fly out of the UK. Welsh culture is alluring and leaving Wales pulls at the heart strings.

The boys have farewelled their lovely swimming teacher, Annemarie, Mandy from Techniquest and Sian, the children's librarian from Cardiff Library. The boys keep reminding us that because they are younger than us, they are more likely to have an opportunity to return some day.

Arriving in Oxfordshire has been very pleasant. We drove into Oxford to pick up the apartment key at peak hour, so we took the real estate agent's advice and had dinner at a gorgeous Italian restaurant a few doors up allowing the traffic to subside- early supper deal mid week -The restaurant staff responded very warmly to the children and the food was yummy!

After a fantastic dinner, we drove the 9 miles out to the village where we are staying to find a most comfortable apartment. The fireplace is lit with candles and we have a portrait of Winston Churchill over the mantle (he is buried in this village). There is a wonderful, small pedal organ in the lounge which Tom took great delight in the moment we arrived and played through some of his piano repertoire.

Tomorrow Ian will begin his research here in Oxford, while the boys and I settle into the apartment and explore the village and the grounds of the palace nearby.

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.