Existing Member?

UK Adventure

Leaving UK

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 9 July 2008 | Views [446]

Hi all. I'm writing this from the departures lounge at Heathrow Airport. It took 2 hours from driving the hire car back to the Europcar office next to one of the runways to finally being able to slump in a chair with a refreshment.

We had to do some clever luggage rearrangement at check in to allow us to bring our extra bag. We had been working on the premise that it was 20kg per person, regardless of number of bags. The new system (how new?) is that you can carry as much as you like in weight, but only 1 bag per person. So, under the guidance of the check-in lady, we joined our backpacks to create a single piece - it was a bit of luck that when packing up the flat this morning, I popped a partially used roll of gaffer tape into my handbag! So voila, two bags became one....and then we handed the remains of the gaffer tape role around to all the other passengers checking in, experiencing the same problems.

We are all ready to return to our own little home, but still feeling a bit odd about leaving. Oxford was lovely, but not super child-friendly. Bron's friend and colleague Trish Symons was in town. It was such fun to have someone to chat with. Trish organised an evening at a performance of the Twelfth Night by the Oxford Shakespeare Company in the garden of Wadham College which was just brilliant - a highlight of the stay in Oxford.

We board the plane to Singapore in about an hour. We will visit the night zoo with Richard, Ping and Austin while we are there. We are very much looking forward to that....it will be our last night away.

See you all soon.

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.