Existing Member?

UK Adventure

Hull

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 6 June 2008 | Views [574]

Deep Blue One marine research centre at the Hull aquarium, The Deep.

Deep Blue One marine research centre at the Hull aquarium, The Deep.

After leaving Scotland we travelled to Hull on the East Coast. We were there for 3 nights and, having not had web access for much of our stay in Scotland, we left booking accommodation until we were in the car enroute and phoned the Tourist Info in Hull. We weren't expecting anything particularly scenic in Hull and so sought only a fairly convenient location. We ended up at the Pearson Park Hotel which, as the name suggests, fronts right onto Pearson Park, a small but interesting park with duck pond, ice cream shop, well-equipped playground, garden and an every changing mix of children and grown-ups all using the park.

The boys would have spent every waking moment in the playground if they could have. They met and played with lots of friendly children who were having a school holiday "after exams" and we enjoyed being able to dash out the door for a run or walking past the uni students jamming with acoustic instruments (including a didgeridoo). There were donkey rides in the park on one of the days we were there and the boys and I visited a very high quality aquarium called The Deep.

The University was a short walk from the hotel. Ian caught up with a number of academics with whom he works, or has worked, including James Connelly whose hospitality we thoroughly enjoyed over dinner at his home one evening. Discussions about voting systems are particularly good fun in the company of professors who run courses devoted to the topic. I naively tossed in questions that take months of course work to fully explore.

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.