Existing Member?

UK Adventure

Diggerland

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 8 June 2008 | Views [1916] | Comments [3]

The under 5s had to be accompanied on the diggers by an adult. Ian and I tried to conceal how much fun we were having and keep the focus on the children....not sure we managed it.

The under 5s had to be accompanied on the diggers by an adult. Ian and I tried to conceal how much fun we were having and keep the focus on the children....not sure we managed it.

Travelling with young children is certainly a different experience to our previous trips to Europe. Our recent visit to Durham on the way to Hull is a good case in point. Durham is well known for its impressive cathedral and we were eager to take a look. The drive from Glasgow to Hull meant the boys were in the car for hours and we were aware that it would be unfair on them to then expect them to maintain silent calm as they walked about a "big old building". We purchased a book from Amazon before we left Aus called 1001 Day Trips in the UK with Children which listed a child-friendly facility called Diggerland on the outskirts of Durham. The plan was to give the children a good break before heading off to the cathedral. We arrived at Diggerland at about 3:30pm and were stunned by a huge collection of full sized excavators for children to operate - a little boy's idea of heaven! We raged about digging up dirt, knocking things down, spinning, driving, bumping for an hour or so and then bundled the children back in the car to head off to the cathedral.

We drove into Durham. We could see the cathedral up on the hill and followed the signs, only to end up in a cathedral parking area from which we needed to take a bus. We tried again, driving around, following our noses, trying to get closer to the grand spire we could see....all roads closed and we ended up going in circles. Durham cathedral takes several hours to visit, not least because the parking and bus rides to get to the building itself are a very time consuming activity. By 5:30pm we were aware we still had some distance to travel into a city we didn't know to accommodation we had a tentative phone booking for (no deosit paid) and felt we must push on.

So we left Durham a little frustrated that we had come so close to visiting a truly significant structure, but had missed it. Oh, well. We hadn't been left entirely without a source of cultural enrichment - after all, we had been to Diggerland!

Comments

1

I truly believe that this will be one of the boys memorable experiences - remembered for years to come! Diggerland! And I thought it was a tribute to the ANZACS war effort not Bronwyn and Ian's efforts to stay in touch wit the under 8's!
Memorable experiences in downtown Mittagong: 1. Pete's 52 birthday yesterday, School's Birthday Celebrations last week, "forgetting" to go to a Year 8 class (first time ever), writing reports.......
To come: Seeing Sex in the City at the movies, getting my hair cut.....3 weeks until end Term 2.......as you can see "Diggerland" is looking good to me!
Love to you all
Kate

  Kate Chauncy Jun 9, 2008 1:47 PM

2

I understand something of the sheer utter joy you experienced pre- and post-Diggerland. For several months now I have been driving around Sydney with William in the car and becoming delirious with joy when we spot a crane (mechanical ..... not ornithological) ....... mainly because it brings William such joy to spot a crane ...... who would ever have thought life would come to this ....... now I am unconsciously hypervigilant and scrutinising the skyline for cranes. I did in fact get an offer from a patient I encountered in Emergency for him to park his crane on our front lawn (he was the owner of a Sydney crane company). I declined simply because I didn't want an enduring association with cranes and his presenting condition (.....I'll divulge all ... deidentified .... at a private dinner on your return ......suffice to say it involved an encounter with a very rough girl ....... and conversation about cranes was necessary for me to be able to keep a straight face during the consultation !! ).

  Mona Thorpe Jun 9, 2008 8:44 PM

3

Your experience reminded me of my time in Boston in 1984. I was so keen on purchasing books that I only got as far as the gates of Harvard... yes, I never went in. I still shake my head over that.
Of course, you may find another opportunity... go and hear N.T. Wright (Bishop of Durham). He's certainly worth the trip.
Cheers and God bless
Pete M

  Pete Madden Jun 9, 2008 9:42 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.