Existing Member?

Treezy's Travelling Tales and Tantalising Tidbits

Lake Titicaca Part two

PERU | Monday, 10 August 2009 | Views [583]

Dressed up in traditional dress on the floating island

Dressed up in traditional dress on the floating island

Ok, so I gave it another chance. Not the town, because I still think that´s a bit rubbish but the lake.

And I´m lad I did. I went on a tour out to the lake. This side was very different to the Bolivian side. For starters, the lake was filled with reeds and so the feel was just more right. We were going to the floating islands which in itself was really cool. They make their islands out of this amazing plant and the island is truly floating. We got there and we had a talk about how the island is made, and their lifestyle and it was truly really interesting.

After this, was where the commercialism came in. All of the women took one or a couple of us into her hut to show us inside. My lady showed me inside and I was very surprised to see her two year old son glued to the television. I guess some things don´t change wherever you are. I dressed up in their colourful clothes and then we went outside and took photos. I´d seen their market set up outside their houses, and so I was expecting to buy something, but I didn´t like how they did it. Instead of letting us wander through the market, we just sat in front of our lady´s stall. I drew the short straw as the only thing she made were these blankets (granted they were gorgeous and handmade but they were expensive) and they kind of guilted you into buying. I sat there for ages deciding whether I truly wanted or could make use of it, and I decided I could but I still didn´t like the way it was done.

Having said all of that, I still liked this side of the Lake so much more. It felt like what I imagined it would be (besides the overwhelming commercialism) and I got to ride down Titicaca in a reed boat which was awesome.

Now I´m in Arequipa and have been for 5 days. I love it here, and tomorrow I am going to visit the world´s deepest canyon, Colca Canyon.

About treezy

Cheers!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.