Existing Member?

Treezy's Travelling Tales and Tantalising Tidbits

I scream, you scream, we all scream for (argentinian) icecream

ARGENTINA | Saturday, 23 May 2009 | Views [1619] | Comments [3]

Argentinian icecream (Helado)

Argentinian icecream (Helado)

Ok so another food story. I seem to be giving the impression that I am only eating here! Easy to do though, as the food is fantastic. I even tried a steak (their beef is widely agreed to be the best in the world). I havén´t eaten a steak in about 8 years, and it was ....wonderful!

But on to the real point of this story, which is ICECREAM. I have just joined the fan club (there must be one) to stand up for the fact that the Argentinian ¨Helado¨(their icecream) is the best in the world (and yes Tash even better than the Italians although that was pretty damn amazng!). And it is. I am staying with my friend and her family at the moment, and they are looking after me so well, and treating me to some of the traditional foods. On the first night, after a dinner that somehow never seemed to separate from a snack, then lunch, then a snack and then dinner, we followed this trend with going to get Helados. We needn´t have bothered moving. Argentinians get delivery for EVERYTHING and I mean everything. I have never heard of such a thing as delivery for icrecream, but here it exists. But we walked down to the shop and I was like a small child let loose in a candy store. After poring over the flavours for a very long time, I settled on Chocolate Mousse and Strawberry and Cream.

But I could have had a miriad of things; all flavours were included to satisy even the strangest taste buds. For example, for the more savoury amongst us, there were cheetos flavour, for those who wanted to pretend they were on the beaches in Rio, there was pinacolada flavour, and so on. My eyes were wide with amazement as I realised that they had actually made these flavours, and if my choices were anything to go by, they made them taste very authentic.

With many rounds of ¨wow¨and ¨mmmmm¨, ¨this is amazing¨and ¨this is the best icecream I have ever tasted¨, we left the shop, a little heavier around the girth perhaps, but for me at least, so much happier!

But I swear I have been doing other things in Argentina other than eating! Tomorrow I am being particularly cultural/touristy as I visit an authentic estancia (cattle and horse ranch) and see them do their stuff and eat LOTS more food (ok so maybe I am eating a lot here).

Tune in next time when Treezy goes to the Estancia and hangs out with the Gaunchos.

Comments

1

Totally agree about the Ice Cream. When on our honeymoon, Michelle and I found an Argentine ice cream shop in Queenstown. It really took us back. They even had Dolce de leche ice cream. Yum!!

  Hutty May 23, 2009 2:18 PM

2

But do they have Hokey Pokey, and Rum and Raisin flavours?
Look foward to reading all about your trip to the ranch - sounds interesting .

  Mama Jude May 23, 2009 2:46 PM

3

CHEETOS??? You SOOOO have to try it just so I can see what it's like!!!

  Tash May 24, 2009 3:23 PM

About treezy

Cheers!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.