Existing Member?

Janaline's World Journey “To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted.”

The Secret Soviet Military Bunker and Moscow metro – Birthday weekend!! Part 2B

RUSSIAN FEDERATION | Wednesday, 28 November 2012 | Views [2276]

Komsomolskaya metro station in Moscow

Komsomolskaya metro station in Moscow

 

How do you celebrate your birthday when it is -30 degrees outside? You go down into Stalin’s secret bunker and go for a ride on Moscow’s circle line.

Komsomolskaya metro station

Komsomol’skaya

Komsomolskaya is located under the busiest Moscow transport hub, Komsomolskaya Square, which serves the 3 main railway stations. Because of that the station is one of the busiest in the whole system and is the most crowded one on the line.

Komsomolskaya metro station

Once on the platform level, there is an imposing Baroque ceiling, with accompanying friezes, painted yellow. Supporting the enlarged barrel vault are 68 octagonal columns covered with white marble, and topped with baroque pillars. The platform is lit up by chandeliers.

Inside Komsomolskaya metro station

The theme of the design, the Historical Russian fight for freedom and independence, is expressed in eight large ceiling mosaics by Pavel Korin. Korin said that the inspiration came from Joseph Stalin’s speech at the Moscow Parade of 1941, where he inspired the soldiers amid the catastrophic losses in the early period of World War II to remember the historical heroics of their Russian forefathers.

Me inside Komsomolskaya metro station

Komsomolskaya metro station

In 1951 both Pavel Korin (posthumously) was awarded the Stalin Prize for his work on the station and in 1958 the station was awarded the Grand Prix (“Grand Prize”) title of Expo ’58 in Brussels.

Prospekt Mira metro station

Prospekt Mira

Prospekt Mira metro station is definitely one of the most beautifully decorated stations ever

This station is filled with stain glass panels

It was originally called Botanichesky Sad after the Botanical Gardens of the Moscow State University which is located nearby. The theme of this station and the overall colour tone was inspired by the Botanical Gardens. The pillars are all white marble, and are covered with ceramic floral carvings. The colourful glass arches depict different aspects in the development of agriculture in the Soviet Union and is actually very beautiful.

Prospekt Mira metro station

Prospekt Mira metro station with ist stunning stain glass decorations

Platform of Prospekt Mira metro station

Hammer and sickle

Mendeleevskaya

Mendeleevskaya metro station

The interesting light features of Mendeleevskaya metro station

The station hall is covered with white marble and the walls are decorated with plaques depicting atomic and molecular structures. The station is decorated with unusual lighting fixtures resembling lattice.

The interesting light features of Mendeleevskaya metro station

Tags: janaline smalman, metro stations, moscow, photography, russia, travel

 

 

Travel Answers about Russian Federation

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.