Existing Member?

Janaline's World Journey “To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted.”

Seeing the city from a different perspective on a Moscow River cruise

RUSSIAN FEDERATION | Wednesday, 24 October 2012 | Views [2097] | Comments [1]

Cruising past the Kremlin

Cruising past the Kremlin

 

Kievskiy Vokzal where we got on the boat for the Moscow river cruise

A Moscow river boat trip is definitely a great choice when it's hot, sunny, and you've seen a lot of the city on foot already!

Just imagine how cool it is to slowly drift across the beautiful Moscow River, enjoying Moscow from a totally different perspective!

me waiting at the coffee shop just across from the metro

 Moscow river as we crossed the bridge to the pier

Yve, Judith, Raphael and I planned to meet at Kievskiy metro station one sunny Saturday afternoon in May to do this boat trip. Three of us arrived on time but somewhere there was a communication gap so Yve had the time wrong and only arrived an hour later. Luckily it was a beautiful day so we sat at a coffee shop just across from the metro and waited for her to join us.

Standing in line to get onto the boat

OK, there are basically two types of Moscow river boat trips. One is called "river tram" or "river shuttle", and the other is more like a tourist cruise.

me and Judith on the boat cruise

Me, Judith and Raphael on the boat cruise

The shuttle follows a typical route through Moscow River, from “Kievskiy Vokzal” to “Novospasskiy Bridge" and back, with several stops on the way. The cruise boats usually do not stop, and the entire trip may take up to two hours. We opted for the shuttle as it was 4 times cheaper than the cruise and follows the same route.

 Starting our Moscow River cruise

We crossed the busy highway and got onto the boat at the pier across the road from Kievskiy metro station.

 

The first thing we passed was “Sparrow Hills”. In summer, the hills turn entirely green, and you can clearly see the building of the Moscow State University rising straight up in to the sky. You'll also see grass-covered beaches filled with bathing Muscovites. People actually sit along the river bank sunbathing and swim in the dirty river.

People actually sit along the river bank sunbathing and swim in the dirty river.

It was a lovely bright sunny day!

Fresh air and clean skied as we cruised along

At least the air actually feels a little bit fresher than the exhaust polluted city air we breathe in every day. Well for a bit because a lot of people sat smoking on the deck while drinking a cold beer.

 “Gorky Park” , the Russian “Disneyland”

On our right we passed by "Gorkiy park", the Russian "Disneyland”. The place is filled with all kinds of rides. Right on the river bank there is a huge space shuttle - it's called "Buran", and was the first of a kind in Russia.

Unfortunately, it was also the last one. When Perestroika began, the Soviet space program was severely cut, and "Buran" was returned to the hangar to be utilized later.

Peter the Great Monument 

Towering in front of us was the Peter the Great Monument. It was designed by the Georgian designer Zurab Tsereteli to commemorate 300 years of the Russian Navy, which was started by Peter I of Russia. At 94 metres, it is the eighth tallest statue in the world. In November 2008, it was voted the tenth ugliest building in the world by Virtual Tourist and unfortunately you can even see it from the Kremlin. In 2010, it was included in a list of the world's ugliest statues by Foreign Policy magazine.

I do agree with them.

 One of the many bridges we passed

“Red October” chocolate factory

On the right just after the monument is the "Red October" chocolate factory. They make the tastiest Russian chocolate I've ever eaten! Nothing compares to "Alenka" chocolate, it has a little girl in a headscarf on the wrapping.

 Moscow is filled with beautiful buildings

The Cathedral of Christ the Saviour

Yve hiding from the sun as we sail past The Cathedral of Christ the Saviour

One of my highlights of the cruise was The Cathedral of Christ the Saviour that appeared on our left hand side. Built in 1860, it was later destroyed by Stalin. To show everyone the "new", "free" Russia, Bolsheviks built a swimming pool right on the ruins of the church! Fortunately, the new Russian government allowed its restoration, and the cathedral was re-opened in 2000. It's the tallest Eastern Orthodox Church in the world!

 Approaching the Kremlin

cruising past The Kremlin

We also cruised past The Kremlin. It was absolutely magnificent seeing it from the river! We could see the State Kremlin Palace, Archangelsky Cathedral and even the Ivan the Great Bell Tower!

View of the Kremlin palace

Love the architecture of Moscow

We also had a glance at St. Basil's Cathedral on the Red Square.

 We also had a glance at St. Basil’s Cathedral on the Red Square.

We got off the cruise boat close to Taganskaya metro station. It was supposed to be close by but we got a bit lost on our walk toward the metro and it took us nearly an hour to find it. Luckily it was a sunny day so we didn’t really mind walking through the streets of Moscow.

 Close to the end of our cruise

Every time I have had visitors I have made sure to take them on this river cruise for a spectacular view of the city!

Tags: cruise, moscow, moscow river, photography, russia, travel

Comments

1

Wow, I have been aching to go there and have a tour. That is really a great place :)

  Louise Oct 30, 2012 9:58 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Russian Federation

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.