Existing Member?

Janaline's World Journey “To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted.”

Monasteries, art museums and avoiding security guards in Moscow

RUSSIAN FEDERATION | Sunday, 28 October 2012 | Views [1126]

A shot of one of the churches in this monastery complex

A shot of one of the churches in this monastery complex

 

Upper Monastery of St Peter which was once part of Moscow’s outer defenses

The entrance to the monastery

One of my favourite things to do is walking around Moscow during spring time. The weather is lovely and the whole city is filled with flowers and people enjoying the sunshine. It just feels so good finally being able to walk outside without being wrapped up in layers and layers of clothes. After being cooped up inside for most of the long cold winter in Moscow I grabbed at every opportunity to walk around outside and soak up the sunshine.

 Love the red brick wall and towers

Before entering I had to cover my hair with a scarf as a sign of respect

 I walked up Tverskaya Street and down Petrovskiy where on the corner crossing with Petrovka is a small monastery hidden away between all the office buildings. From outside it didn’t look like much but I love exploring the monasteries and churches dotted around Moscow so went in for a look. There I found the 14th century Upper Monastery of St Peter which was once part of Moscow’s outer defenses.  

Inside the Monastery grounds

 Looking back at the entrance from inside the Monastery grounds

It was extremely peaceful inside the monastery grounds and nearly deserted, which is a bit unusual for Moscow.

Cathedral of Metropolitan Pyotr

The beautiful onion domed towers of the Cathedral

The main Cathedral was built by Sofia, Peter the Great’s mother in 1690. This red brick Cathedral is called the Cathedral of Metropolitan Pyotr. In the entrance of the cathedral there was a small shop where you can buy candles, incense and icons. The inside of the Cathedral was filled with icons and decorated with red flowers painted on the walls and ceiling.

The entrance to the Cathedral

The back of the Cathedral

The monastery grounds are quite neglected and I don’t think that it is in use much any more which is a pity.

 Another small church on the Monastery grounds

Right across from it is the Museum of Modern Art, which is definitely worth a visit.

Museum of Modern Art

Entrance into the main building

It has a huge selection of modern sculptures and paintings and a lot of interactive exhibitions inside. This museum has no English descriptions or explanations but it was loads of fun to walk through, and most of the time you don’t need any explanations.

The courtyard of the Museum is filled with sculptures

One of the first rooms I entered was pitch black and there was a sign before entering telling you to get your phone out. This must be the first museum I have ever been in where they expect you to have a mobile phone and actually want you to use it. The walls were pitch black, the ceiling and even the floor was black and there was no source of light once you stepped inside. You had to walk through this dark room and then had to use the light from your mobile phone to have a look at the paintings. I didn’t get to see the painting as a whole by doing this, I only got fragments and had fun trying to piece it together and figure out what the painting was of. I have never experienced anything like this ever.

 This sculpture is right at the entrance of the courtyard

Some sculpture by the artist Tsereteli

One of the little old ladies in one of the rooms tried to explain to me what to do at one of the exhibitions and when she realized I didn’t actually understand her she took me by the hand and proceeded to walk through the whole gallery with me. We stopped in each room and she would show me what to do to get the full effect of the exhibits and still continued to explain everything to me in Russian. I really wished that I could actually understand what she was saying to me as she was lovely and explained everything with so much passion.

 In one of the more peaceful rooms I got to sit on a swing while watching a film just showing a field while listening to the wind blow.

 Love the bronze sculpture in the courtyard

I definitely LOVED this gallery!!

The entrance of the monastery I happened to find by accident

The bright yellow entrance and the red walls surrounding the monastery 

 I continued walking down Rozhdestvenskiy Bulvar where I went into another monastery. It was quite big but I didn’t have enough time to find out what the name was.  I walked through the monastery gates after covering my hair with a scarf and was greeted by 3 small churches right by the entrance. I always walk around with my camera around my neck and take pictures of everything interesting I come across. Just as I took a photo inside the monastery complex I spotted 2 security guards running towards me. I was not going to wait and find out what they wanted as I was sure they just wanted to delete my photo or give me a fine for taking photos without permission. I just turned around and got out of there as fats as I could with the security guards shouting something after me. This was the first monastery I had to run out of and away from before a security guard caught up with me!

I had the chance to take 3 pictures before I was spotted!

Didn’t even have a chance to have a look inside

I had no desire to try and talk to them as I was sure they wouldn’t be able to speak any English and it’s always a scary prospect getting into trouble in a foreign country.

I just decided to look out for security guards next time before I take any pictures.

A small church on the corner before I got to a metro station

Tags: art, janaline smalman, monastery, moscow, museums, photography, russia, travel

 

 

Travel Answers about Russian Federation

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.