Existing Member?

Janaline's World Journey “To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted.”

My South-African Friends Visit Moscow!! Day 1

RUSSIAN FEDERATION | Tuesday, 13 November 2012 | Views [2194]

Me and Adel on the Red Square

Me and Adel on the Red Square

Moscow is filled with churches with onion domes

Day 1

I was so excited that two of my South-African friends were coming to visit me in Moscow!!!!

They arrived early morning in late October and made their way to my small flat in the east of Moscow. I live very close to the metro station so it was quite easy for them to find.

Unfortunately they chose the first properly cold week of autumn to come and visit. They were wrapped up in warm coats, scarves and hats for the whole of their visit!But this didn’t stop us from trying to fit in all the highlights of Moscow in 5 days.

The Cathedral of the Sign, a large brown-brick church topped with four green domes

Adel standing in front of the Cathedral of the Sign

Church of St Nikitniki hidden down an alleyway off Varvarka street

For their first day in Moscow I took them for a walk down the church filledVarvarka Street all the way to the Red Square.

Me and Adriaan as we were about to enter the Red Square through Resurrection Gate

Me and Adel standing on the Red Square in front of the Kazan Cathedral

St Basils Cathedral

Adel and I in front of St Basil’s Cathedral

It was 5 degrees outside so we warmed up with a lovely coffee and then went into St Basils Cathedral. I had loads of fun showing them around and it was really special being able to share Moscow with my friends.

Me and Adriaan inside St Basil Cathedral

The eternal peace flame in front of the Kremlin

Guard standing in front of the Kremlin

We were lucky enough to catch the changing of the guards in front of the Kremlin on our way to get something to eat. We had some very tasty Russian pancakes for lunch down in the underground mall in front of the Kremlin and as soon as the two of them were warmed up we headed out into the cold again.

The changing of the guards in front of the Kremlin

The changing of the guards in front of the Kremlin

We walked over to the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour which is always an amazing place to visit. It is situated next to the Moscow River and you can see the whole Kremlin from the bridge next to it.

Adel and I in front of the History Museum during the Light Show

Gum Shopping Center during the Light Show

That evening was the Festivals of the Lights in the Red Square. It was amazing to experience, they played music and had a light show synchronized to the music and in turn lit up each building in the Red Square.

Gum Shopping Center during the Light Show

St Basil’s Cathedral during the Light Show

The Red Square during the Light Show

Tags: janaline smalman, moscow, photography, red square, russia, st basils cathedral, travel

 

 

Travel Answers about Russian Federation

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.