Existing Member?

Janaline's World Journey “To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted.”

TSARITSYNO, CATHERINE the GREATS’ park in Moscow

RUSSIAN FEDERATION | Sunday, 4 November 2012 | Views [1540]

Catherine The Greats Palace at Tsaritsyno Park

Catherine The Greats Palace at Tsaritsyno Park

 

The entrance to Tsaritsyno Park and Estate

We followed the flower filled entrance down to the lake

I think there is no better way to spend your summer mornings in Moscow than walking around and enjoying the sunshine and the many parks it has to offer. The parks were all filled with brightly coloured flowers and loads of people also out to soak up the sunshine.

My first visit to Tsaritsyno Park was with my friend Judith for her birthday!!

Ducks and little boats on the lake

View of the city on the other side of the lake

It was a peaceful sunny day out

Tsaritsyno Park and Estate is located in the South-East of Moscow and I couldn’t believe we were still in the city after we entered the park. It was quiet and peaceful, a quiet haven away from the busy city. While I can’t say much about that neighborhood, the park itself is a real beauty with a rich historic legacy.

A great way to spend the day out by the lake

Love walking through the park surrounding the lake

The path going around the lake

We chose a peaceful place next to the lake for our picnick

We had a stroll through the huge park, all around the lake and then sat down on a lovely grassy spot for the afternoon.

We spent the whole sunny afternoon here

We had packed a picnic and enjoyed the sunny day by having some Russian vodka and blowing bubbles!

Blowing bubbles in the sun!

Love blowing bubbles

On my next visit to the park I actually went and explored the whole estate and walked around the palace buildings. It was late summer by then so I had to make the most of the little bit of sunshine that was left before the long cold Russian winter arrived.

Love Russian parks in summer!!

As I entered the park the smell of flowers and the sound of the big water fountains gave it an eerily tranquil feel even though the park was filled with people.

The huge fountain found near the entrance of the park

I bought an ice-cream at one of the carts and sat next to the big fountain eating it while watching the people around me.

Great detail on all the arches

Standing in front of the Grand Palace

The Grand Palace

This Palace is beautifully restored

In 1775, the estate was bought by Empress Catherine the Great, and named Tsaritsyno, which means “Tsarina’s” (Queens). In 1776-85 architect Vasili Bazhenov built a new palace for the Empress here, but in 1786 Catherine ordered it to be partly pulled down.

The Grand Palace of Catherine The Great

Until 1797 architect Matvey Kazakov was working on the construction, but the palace remained unfinished. The palace was then left in ruins but restored in 1984 and is now a very popular tourist attraction.

Arches and walkways surround the Palace

Another beautiful archway

The archway you walk through to get to the Palace

Small blue church opposite the Palace

The bell tower of this small church

The entrance of the church

I crossed the bridge and walked through a beautiful archway to enter the palace grounds. On my left was the huge palace and on my right a tiny blue church. The little church was quite plain on the outside but true to Russia it was filled with gold and icons on the inside.

Beautiful mosaic found on the outside of the church

I strolled past the palace and into the forest behind it where I found a number of pavilions, artificial grottos, decorative bridges and even a green house.

Loved feeding the squirells

My favourite part about the forest was watching and feeding some of the parks many squirrels. I do love watching them although I am a bit scared to actually reach out and touch one, what if it actually bites?

They were everywhere in the forest!!

Tags: catherine the great, janaline smalman, moscow, photography, russia, travel, tsaritsyno park

 

 

Travel Answers about Russian Federation

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.