Existing Member?

Janaline's World Journey “To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted.”

Shishken, mushroom hunt in a Russian forest

RUSSIAN FEDERATION | Friday, 5 October 2012 | Views [777]

My friends Alexander and Anastasia's weekend house

My friends Alexander and Anastasia's weekend house

 

The next time I was invited to join my Russian friends at their weekend house in Shisken just outside of Moscow was at the start of autumn. Alexander’s mother picked me up Saturday morning and drove me and the girls to the datcha (Weekend House). She doesn’t actually speak a lot of English so it was a question and answer session done through the little girls who can speak a bit of English.

 Tree covered lane leading to their house

I met Alexander’s father at the datcha, and he was such an interesting person. He showed me one of his 4 published books filled with photos of when he lived in Namibia. It turns out that he has toured around the world quite a bit; he yachted all the way around the world and then got to pin on gold medals for Russia at one of the Olympic Games.  He has had a very interesting life filled with travels. Unfortunately his parents couldn’t stay for the day and left just before lunch.

 Masha picking wild flowers in the forest

For lunch we had Russian sis kebab barbeque accompanied by a whole bottle of vodka. A midday nap after all that vodka would have been perfect but a walk in the forest was definitely the next best thing.

Walking through the forest I even spotted some mushrooms up on the trees

 

 Some mushrooms turn to dust when stepped on!

It was beautiful walking through the forest with all the autumn leaves on the trees and covering the forest floor. The kids had fun pointing out different mushrooms to me. Anastasia would then tell me how to cook the different kinds of mushrooms and when the best time would be to pick them.

I never knew that purple mushrooms existed!!

I never knew that there are actually purple and even pink mushrooms. The kids had me step on a specific mushroom and enjoyed the shocked expression on my face when the mushrooms turned into dust. They thought I was very weird because I kept taking pictures of all the mushrooms they pointed out to me. This was so much fun for me. It was great just being out doors in the fresh air and not to have the concrete jungle of Moscow around you.

 I love all the colourful mushrooms!!

We spent the rest of the afternoon in a small row boat on their pond (the one they taught me to ice-skate on).

The pond right next to the weekend house that they use to ice-skate on in winter

 

Getting the row boat ready for the pond

That evening we sat in front of the fire place playing cards and drinking hot spiced mulled wine.

 It was great fun spending time out in the countryside and experiencing Russian family life! It actually made me miss my family.

There were even mushrooms growing in clumps next to the pond

 

The pond next to my friends house

 

Tags: janaline smalman, mushrooms, russia, shishken, travel

 

 

Travel Answers about Russian Federation

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.