Existing Member?

My journey. 'My journey' is all about the journey I am taking. You will hear about my holiday planning and about the holiday itself. Feel free to contact me about my blog at any time.

Melbourne: not just stuck in the past.

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 25 October 2013 | Views [246]

Melbourne. A city where there is just so much to do, you question where to start. Have you ever gone back to a city that makes you think like this? Sure Melbourne city maybe one of the busiest cities in the country but there are so much more than thousands of people going to work each day.

 
Melbourne is well known for food from different cultures, such as Chinese and Greek. Earlier this week I went on a spontaneous trip to China Town on my way to the supermarket. China Town is a really good place for different types of Asian food. This is a place where you can find some of the cities Asian supermarkets and eateries, so you definetly have a good selection of different menus. Queen Victoria market is another great place for food. Not only is it a place where you can find clothes and souvenirs, but you can also find the freshest food here. Queen Victoria markets is actually one of the well known markets for food in the city. 
 
Melbourne also has some beautiful historical buildings that I have seen. The State Library of Victoria is not just beautiful on the outside, but is just as beautiful on the inside. This fully functional library is not only just for people come to read and study, many tourists also come here to see their galleries. One gallery, Mirror of the world: books and ideas, looks at how writer, munitions, even religious books have helped shape the world. The second gallery, The changing face of Victoria, looks at how the state of Victoria grew from the first settlers, to the more recent years. This gallery even makes mentions of Ned Kelly and his life as an outlaw. Both galleries are well presented and have displays of artwork, artifacts and writings.
 
If historical buildings aren't your thing, but you would like to see a gallery, then The Ian Potter Centre: NGV Australia is a place to visit. This gallery I'd located in Federation Square, so it is pretty central to everything. In a space of three levels, The Ian Potter Center has some of the first pieces of artwork from the first settlers, all the way through to more modern times. You won't just see paintings hanging on a wall here. Some of the most well designed antique  wooden and metal work is here too. If you have any questions while you are here, the staff are happy to help with any questions.
 
There are so much more I could talk about here, but Melbourne is a place where you have to see it for yourself. I love this place because it really is more than a city, it's a city filled with history and enjoyment. Until the next entry, happy reading!
 
Jess

About travelerjess


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.