Existing Member?

JenOntheRoad “A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.” – Lao Tzu

Edinburgh for Christmas !

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 19 June 2015 | Views [262]

Edinburgh is a lovely city in scotland, this is the capital city of Scotland since 500 years old where or dear Arthur Conan Doyle is born.

I spent 5 days and for christmas is just magical ! There are lot of things to do and to see, during this period it is alive. In the central area there are a huge skating ring, a merry-go-round and lot of games for kids, it is a kind of funfair. There are also foods and drinks.

You have to stroll into the streets because there are typicals and the atmosphere is pleasant. Well, I know in winter the weather is grey so this is not very good for the picture and to walk but I liked it, you saw different things and I found an mysterious ambiance.

 

To visit this city you need 1/2 days :

You can use the touristic bus whih is very interesting to visit all places in Edinburgh!

There are the Edinburgh Castle which dominates the city from its great rock. Its story has helped shape the nation's story, this is why it become a great attration (picture 1 & 2).

The Palace of Holyroodhouse (house of the queen); for 13£75 you can visit the palace with the museum and its abbey (picture 3).

Canogate Kirk which is a congregation with ancient traditions and a vibrant sense of Christ's calling in today's city. (picture 4)

The writter Museum which pay tribute to Robert Louis Stevenson ! I really liked this museum ! (Picture 5 & 6)

If you want to see landscape and to have a view of Scotland without the big city; you have Arthur Seat which is just next to the Palace of Holyroodhouse ! It is a familial and lovely walk (Picture 1&2). Or you can go to Craigmillar Castle (with Lothian bus for 1£40 - 10min of the city) which is a castle in ruin but also one of the most perfectly preserved castle in Scotalnd. The visit is by yourself and it is very nice. It is a castle from 15th century. Next to the castle there is a shop where you can by celtic music ! (picture 2,3&4).

Like I said Edinburgh is a various and rich city !

Just two others things ! You cannot miss The Fudge House ! This is a speciality and it is very good, this is succulent chocolate :)

For the fan of Harry Potter you have to go to the restaurant "Elephant House" because this is the birthplace of our dear wizard ! The story is in the restaurant so I keep the mystery !

Adress : 21 George IV bridge, Edinburgh, Midlothian EH1 1EN

This the messages in the toilets of the restaurant from the fan to JK.Rowling !

Have a nice thought !

 

ENJOY ! 

 

Tags: #scotland #christmas #travel #tradition #harrypot

 

About travelerdiaryinusa


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.